| 23 |

Chapter Twenty Three

~

I've been sitting here anxiously for around three minutes and I already want to die. Whatever Gaten has to say to me won't be good. I can tell by the way he texted.

Before leaving I took two pain relieving pills and chugged a bottle of water, so I'm hoping that whatever is about to go down won't make my headache worse.

My foot is silently tapping under the table, my hands jumbling around as I wait for Gaten to get here.
And speak of the devil, the door jingles a little and a light brown curly haired boy steps inside the cafe, his eyes traveling around in search of something.

Well that something would be me, because when is eyes land on mine he sighs and walks over.

I gulp a little and tense up.

"Hey y/n," he sighs and pulls out a seat in front of me. He didn't give me his same little smile, or a small hug. He just sat there with a disappointed look in his eyes.

I didn't know what to say. I felt my anxiety taking over and clogging up my throat.

"So how's your hangover been?" He suddenly asks with a little smirk. My eyes widen.
"What? How'd you-"

"I saw those snap stories. Don't tell me you were actually trying to get high..."

"No no of course not," I shake my head, "I didn't even know there were drugs in them!"

Gaten nods and a microscopic smile appears on his face.

"Alright well let's actually get serious..." he clears his throat and folds his hand together in the table top.

My palms are already sweating.

"First of all, you're lucky as hell that I'm even here to talk with you. Even Noah is angry with you y/n. Noah. Finn is just hurt."

I narrow my eyes and look down, trying to think of what I did. Is this because I didn't like when Finn kissed me? Is that what this whole thing is about? Or maybe it's something else?

I don't know. But with all these questions, the best way I could wrap them into one was by saying simply, "Why?"

Gaten's eyes fell into an 'you're kidding right?' kind of face. It only made me feel worse and I don't know what I did yet.

"Y/n you've got to be joking. You're better than this."

"Gaten. Better than what."

He pauses for a minute, seemingly shocked that I actually don't know what happened.
The curly haired boy lets out a gentle sigh and blinks a few times.

"December 23rd. Ring any bells?"

And that was it. Those five words made my heart drop to the floor.
I closed my eyes and felt a pulsating panic inside me.

"Fuck," I mumble and drop my head onto the table of the cafe. Now my headache is coming back. For sure.

"Yeah. Fuck is right," Gaten nods and stares at me while I just want to crawl into a hole and die.