10. Out of nowhere

Out of nowhere, a loud explosion takes us out of our moment, scaring the hell out of me. It is soon followed by a shower of water. At first, I think he dunked me but when I open my eyes, I am still above water and he is as soaked as I feel.

Looking around, I can't see anything except everyone having fun.

Kirishima looks afar, surprised at first, then at me letting go of my waist.

"Sorry, I was out of line." He says apologetically.

"What? What do you mean? You weren't." Ah I'm so gutted! The moment has definitely passed and we are both left in this limbo. This is becoming so awkward I need to do something and walk back to the beach.

"Mikki?" He looks puzzled.

"Yes?"

"What... where..."

"I'm just gonna chill."

"I'm gonna stay okay?" I chuckle.

"You do what you want Kiri. You don't have to tell me." I smile trying to make the situation less heavy.

Returning to my towel, sitting next to Jiro, I feel deflated. I was gonna kiss him and now I don't even know if it's gonna happen at all. I look out and see him swimming to the diving platform. Once out, he stands in front of Bakugou, literally in his face. That's not a safe place. I've never seen him being pushy with him.

Bakugou says nothing when he would usually have reacted violently to anybody acting this way with him.

"How was the water?" Jiro asks, taking me out of my creepy spying.

"What? Oh yeah! Good. It was good."

"I didn't realise you and Kirishima were an item."

"We... are not."

"Sorry I didn't mean to be nosy. It's just that you guys are obviously... close so people are talking."

"Oh. Well we're not an item, just friends."

"But you like him?" I stare at her. I'm not used to share this kind of stuff with people. I keep it all in my head, a much safer place. "You don't need to tell me. I'm sorry."

"No it's okay. I'm conflicted. I want to focus on the program but Kirishima is being so..."

"Kirishima?" I chuckle at the perfect description.

"Yeah! I'm not used to the attention. But he's like that with everyone right? Is he like that with you?"

"Haha! No. I mean he's super friendly but not... affectionate like he is with you."

"Is he affectionate with others?"

She thinks for a while and shakes her head.

"I think it's you."

"Yeah. That's what I thought and it's great. He's such a sweetheart but..."

"Mikki, I get it you know. But having someone is not a bad thing. Yes it can be distracting but it's also great to have support."

She's right. He's been my little cheerleader and that's really affected me.

We continue to chat for a while and I feel much lighter, less worried about letting someone in and still being myself, working towards being number one.

After a shower and getting into shorts and a hoodie, I head to the outdoor kitchen as I am still on dinner duties.

Starting to make dinner, Shouto joins me.

"Do you need help?"

"It's okay Shouto. Bakugou will be here in a minute to help... I think. Actually do you mind lighting the barbecues please?"

"Of course." He takes care of them and comes back leaning against the wall, facing me. "Did you enjoy the lake?"

"I did yes." I can feel my cheeks burning thinking of how close I was to kiss Kirishima. Did he see? "Did you?"

"Yes. I think tomorrow, they have planned for us to do water sports."

"Sounds fun. I've never done water sports. Have you?"

"No. I didn't really get to do fun stuff as a kid." I stop washing the veggies for a second, watching his sad grin.

"I'm sorry Shouto."

"It's okay." He smiles straightening himself. "It will be fun. I need to wash up before dinner. I'll see you later."

"Yeah see you later."

"What the hell did he want?" I am startled by Bakugou arriving behind me.

"Just chatting."

Standing next to me, he grabs the knife and stone, pours a little water and starts sharpening it. He's being so careful, it feels relaxing to watch him dragging the blade across the smooth surface.

"Why aren't you cooking lazy dumbass?!?" He asks aggressively making me jump.

"Aaah!! I am waiting for the knife!"

"I'll chop."

"Actually can you take care of the meat please?"

"Fine!!!" He's such a grump. Haha! He's funny.

Chopping away, my mind wanders. Where's Kirishima? Should I speak to him? Should I tell him how I feel? Am I misunderstanding the situation?

"AHHHHHH!! Shit!" Damn it I cut myself! And it's bleeding! Fuck!

I look at it and before I have time to do anything, he's in my face, staring at me seriously.

"Are you an idiot?!? I just sharpened it in front of you!!" I am stunned at how he got to me so quickly when he was further up at the grills a second ago.

He wraps my hand in a tea towel and drags me by the wrist towards the first aid cabinet behind the outdoor kitchen.

Unwrapping it, he pours water over it, then looks closely. It's not deep.

"I can look after myself you kn..." I say trying to pull my hand from his grasp. I'm just uneasy being so close to him.

"SHUT UP!!" He barks keeping it tightly in his.

The antiseptic stings like hell but I clench my jaw, determined not to show any more weakness.

Taking a plaster from the first aid box, he wraps it very delicately around my finger as I just stare at him. He's really attractive. He's so calm and focused, I kinda feel privileged that he cares, even though he will claim some other more practical reason for taking care of me if I or anybody else was to mention it.

The plaster is on but he's not letting go of my hand and his eyes eventually meet mine.

He sighs. I know I'm an idiot!

"Don't go out with Kirishima." Shit! I wasn't expecting that and step back defensively.

"What?!? What... do you..."

"Just don't okay?!"

"Why?" He stares at me stunned as if surprised I am arguing. What does he expect?

"Because... " His eyes wonder. "Because I said so!"

"Ha! Like I'm gonna do whatever YOU want. What is it to you?" He grunts and walks away but I catch him by the arm, forcing him to turn back to me. "Am I not good enough for your precious friend?"

"Tss! It's not you. He's an idiot. You deserve better."

Oh... I'm not sure how to react.

"First – He's your friend. Why would you say that? Second – You don't get to chose who I go out with."

"FINE!" He shouts yanking his arm away and returning to the barbecues.

"FINE!!!!!"