Chapter One

Zander woke up at midnight, little streaks of light pouring into his igloo. The midnight rays of the artic were short lasted.

Zander took off his thick, warm, fur coat that seemed to be as old as time itself, a coat passed down from his ancestors, a family mark. He cherished it for it was the last thing his parents left in his possession before they died.

Zander stood up, bending a bit as the roof of the igloo was rather low, he made his way towards the entrance of the igloo and once outside, was greeted with warmth. Snowflakes were to be seen falling meekly and camouflaging themselves in the snow. He lay at rest in the sunlight, remembering the folktales his ancestors passed down.

A few hours passed and the sun struggled to be seen, its final rays fell upon a mob, heading towards Zander's igloo. No animals Zander had seen all his life traveled in mobs as big as this, he squinted, he could see a mix of faces, groans could be heard in the distance. Those weren't animals... They were "Zombies," he gasped...

- - -

It was the day that was prophesised, a day dreaded. Zander ran back into his igloo and packed all that he needed into a small suitcase, he left his igloo and ran north. His two brothers' igloos were farther away and closer to the coast than his, that was a big advantage.

The snow in the air thickened and a blizzard could be for seen, his boots sunk deeper into the snow every step he took. He hoped the snow would slow  the zombies down as well. He heaved with every breath, the cold wind masking the sounds of his breathing.

The igloos could be seen, light protruding from one but not another, he instinctively trudged towards the one with light from it and bent into a crawl, entering the house, pushing aside a curtain that served as a door on the inside. His brothers could be seen in the igloo playing a game of cards. He wiped the snow off of his face and heaved, "The zombies... Are coming!"