Untitled Part 1

Alone. Here in confinement is the cause of my insanity. Solitude. In here, I know that nothing can get in or out, this is comforting though unsettling. In the emptiness I loathe, damned to this cradle of dismay. However in this mysterious plane time hath no hold, hours, minutes, and days take no part here.

Still, I know how this all came to be. Some time ago I went to Stockholm, Sweden for a vacation. Cold yes, but the serene grace of the Scandinavian land has its own charm. A wealthy Nation, in riches and culture, Sweden’s lore is filled with powerful gods and artifacts. Personally I prefer the latter; artifacts had always been a fascination. Yet history itself could not contain every story. 

As I was strolling through Stockholm’s snow covered streets, I saw a rather peculiar curiosity shop. I felt a strange sensation, almost as if I was drawn to go in. Needless to say I did. Inside a plethora of runes, talismans, and other mystical items filled the store’s shelves, wondrous but none as appealing as a gorgeous mirror tucked away at the rear of the store. Its frame solid gold, with each corner elegantly jeweled. Rather strange however is that this mirror is covered in a coat of dust.

After I looked around a bit longer, I found the shopkeeper and inquired.

“Excuse me sir, but is that mirror in the back for sale?” 

“Yes, actually it’s Three thousand seven hundred krona” He replied.

“That sounds fine, I’ll take it.” The storekeeper smiled and nodded as he went to fetch the mirror. Once he returned the mirror was spotless, obviously he had cleaned it, which was desperately needed. 

“You’ll also need this.” He held out a brown leather bag a tad bit larger than the mirror. “This should make it easier to carry.”

I paid for the mirror and thanked him for his generosity. I rushed back to my hotel, anxious to examine the mirror’s engravements. Upon arrival I made room on the kitchen table for a place for the mirror to safely rest while I examined it. The frame had runic carvings all around, along with a border as a wave’s crest. Then I thought, maybe just maybe the runic letters would translate into a modern language. After about ten minutes of deciphering I came to the conclusion that the runes spelled out a phrase. “An endless kingdom awaits those whom scry into this mirror on a Sabbath night.” Thankfully the day was Saturday so it wouldn’t be long until I could find out what this phrase meant.

The next day I asked the locals of the mirror, to my disappointment no one knew anything of the mirror but all whom was asked was uncomfortable of the subject. Later that night I prepared the hotel bedroom for a scry session. The mirror propped upright in the center of the room, and no light other than the moon’s dim reflection. I stared into the mirror trying to make something out but honestly I saw nothing. I searched frantically, yet just an infinite blackness. I stood up ready for bed and noticed that the window was absent. My heart pounded in my chest, I looked to where the mirror had been and it too was no longer in the room. Maybe the moonlight is being blocked by a cloud, I attempted to reassure myself. So I began feeling around the bedroom walls only to realize, they too were gone. No roof above my head, not a single inanimate object. Just empty space.

I’m unable to fathom how long I’ve been here but it doesn’t matter. Suddenly a door appeared, seemingly far away, carelessly I sprinted to it. Whatever may lie beyond it has to be better than where I am. Upon arrival of the door, which appeared to be a dark mahogany, to my surprise the door opened. A feminine figure which appeared to be wearing a deep blue robe, human-like in appearance she had two arms, one of which held up a pale yellow mask attached to a slender white stick. 

“Hello.” She said, as the mask made a slight cringe in its face.

“W-who are you?” 

Her mask reformed into a smoother appearance. “I am an angel.”

“I’m, well truthfully I can’t seem to remember.”

“That’s fine. Please, come in.”

I nodded and walked slowly into the room. The room wasn’t actually a room; it was more like an island. The angel turned to me and asked.

“What type of food do you like?”

“Pears.” Then suddenly an abundance of pears began to spawn in my hands.

“How did you learn that?” I asked after taking a bite out of a pear.

“It comes naturally to me, just like other…curious things. Come with me.” The angel walked to the far side of the island then I followed behind. 

“We shall create a planet. Then fill it with life.” Said the angel.

She waved her hand and as she did, tribes of human like creatures arose, later becoming larger even some being like cities. 

“Now watch as I make the tribes unequal.” One city overflowed with livestock. The other cities began to wage war, in an attempt to capture the cattle. Hundreds of these tiny human like creatures began to fight, killing each other. 

“Now we will have a storm and an asteroid if you like.” The angel’s mask turned jagged. A cataclysmic storm raged across the planet and one by one the human like creatures began to die, grieving for one another only to be met with their own demise.

“I can do no wrong, for I do not know what it is.” 

“You, annihilated them… but why?” I asked sadly.

“You humans have interesting customs but are a worthless greedy lot, we can make more if you desire.” Said the angel her face turned demonic looking. She smiled and said. “I beg you don’t forget that I am your creation, imagine I am gone. Once you do, I shall be in exile never to return lest your will shall let it be.”

The island disappeared and suspended in nothingness the angel faced me and said. 

“Life is a vision, a mere figment of one’s mind and you are but a thought. Nothing is real, except you and nothingness.”