18. Where do you think you're going?

"Hey! Where do you think you're going?" Kirishima shouts.

Dabi turns around and, before he tries to push me through, I activate my quirk and block the way for myself, pushing him in. Jumping back a few meters away from the gateway, I feel relieved to see Aizawa to our rescue. We then wait for either the villains to come back out or the gate to close but within seconds Dabi sneaks his head out and sniggers.

"Should have known the cavalry was coming. Well pretty doll, we will meet again."

He smiles before going back in and the portal shuts.

Turning around, I run to Kirishima sitting Bakugou against the wall.

"Bakugou! Can you hear me?" I ask panicked, stroking his hair.

"What happened?" Aizawa asks.

"A fog made him collapse, the others had breathing masks on."

"It's a quirk. We know the guy. How did you avoid it?" Kirishima asks.

"A bubble." I sign. "My quirk... shield... thing. Damn. I can't speak. Is he gonna be okay?"

"He will be back to normal in ten minutes or so."

Aizawa lifts him up and puts him on Kirishima's back so we all return to the dorm.

"How did you get here?" I ask.

"Bakugou called me. I heard Dabi from his pocket and told sensei before we rushed to found you two."

"Thanks." I look at him unconscious. I feel guilty but, they weren't here for me to start with. They were here for him.

"Why did Dabi come after you?"

"He was after Guardian's protégé."

"Of course!" Aizawa says.

"But... but he saw me, he realised I was more valuable to him." I look at Aizawa. "How does he know?"

"I'm not sure, but the League of Villains has resources, so I am not that surprised."

"Please don't tell him."

"Mikki, you know I have to. Now that they know where to find you, it will be less safe for you."

"Aizawa..."

"I am not discussing this. He needs to have all the information otherwise it could affect his mission. Any harm comes to you and he will never forgive himself."

I admit defeat, anxious that this will affect my life at UA.

Once we arrive at the dorm, the others see us arrive through the main living area, asking questions which Aizawa answers, while Kirishima takes Bakugou to his room with me on his heels.

He lays him on his bed and I kneel on the floor, waiting for him to wake up. Holding his hand, staring at him, I run this whole thing through my head, trying to make sense of it.

What if he doesn't wake up?

"I'll go. I need to speak to Aizawa." Kiri says.

As soon as he leaves, I see Bakugou shuffle and I feel that I can finally breathe again. I place his hand on my cheek, feeling his warm touch and sense that I'm about cry.

He swallows and opens his eyes slowly. Looking around, he notices where he is and now stares at me.

"What happened? How did we get here?"

"Kirishima got your call and he came with Aizawa." I'm not gonna tell him they were about to take him but I traded his place for mine for his own safety.

Focusing on me, his face becomes cold and he pulls his hand away abruptly making me jolt.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Tell you what?" So much happened I'm not sure what he's referring to.

"That your dad is my mentor!" So much anger in those few words. He shuffles himself against his head board with difficulty and, as I stand up to help him, he barks with disdain. "Don't touch me!!"

What? He's so angry, I don't know how to feel. I mean I know how I feel. My heart is aching, my eyes filling quickly with tears as if my body knew what was happening before my brain did.

I wouldn't have cared so much in the past but something... something beautiful was about to happen between us and now it's gone.

He hates me. He does and... I can't control myself, letting a tear fall down my cheek.

"I..." I feel choked and can't speak.

"Stop crying you dumbass!!" He shouts looking away. That's not the usual dumbass. "Get out." He's hurt for sure but I want to talk, explain. I need him. He's my... "I said GET THE FUCK OUT!!"

My lip trembling, my throat tight, I walk to the door. Is this it? Surely it can't be.

Trying to convince myself it's just the surprise that makes him act so defensive and cold, I have a deeper feeling that his pride is hurt and stubborn as he is, he will not let me in again. Ever.

I'll sleep on it. I'll let him sleep on it.

I'll try to talk to him tomorrow and if that doesn't work, I'll try the next day and the next.

I can't let him go.

Shit! He means everything.

Now in my room, I try to distract myself from the ball in my stomach when someone knocks at the door.

"Aizawa? I thought you'd gone."

"Are you okay? You seem really shook."

"I'm fine! Not scared of some stupid villains!"

"Is there anything else you want to talk about?" I hear the reluctance in his voice. I know he's trying to be supportive but it's not his thing.

"You don't have to."

"I can get one of your classmates."

"I'm fine."

"I can tell you're not. Just... talk to someone okay?"

"I will."

He leaves and in that kind of situation, there are only a few people I'd want to talk to. One is out of town, one downstairs... one... upstairs.

Going on my balcony, I make my air steps and climb up. I'm standing in front of his window. Behind the closed curtains, I can see that the light is on and hear music playing. I don't know if I should knock and I walk back to the banister three times before I tap on his window. No answer. I tap again, the music inside gets louder. He knows it's me.

"Bakugou... Bakugou please talk to me. I'm sorry. I didn't know how to tell you. To start with I didn't think it was anybody's business anyway. Then I found out that he was your mentor and I didn't know how to tell you. You have so much respect for him. I didn't want to break your bubble, showing you what a lousy father he has been my whole life. Please open the door and talk to me." I stand there like an idiot. Why am I so desperate for his attention, his forgiveness? Why do I feel so strongly about him? He's an asshole but... I have feelings for him and... "I need you." I gasp feeling my eyes burning. "I... can't..." I feel choked and tears are rolling down my cheeks. I don't even know if he can hear me but with a trembling voice I continue. "You're so... important to me. I... I need you so much." I fall to the ground, my head in my hands and sob, my throat hurting for trying unsuccessfully to restrain my emotions. "Bak..." I can't talk, gasping for air between each sob.

I sit there crying my eyes out for him until I've calmed down a little.

I'm so pathetic.

He's not even my boyfriend...

Thinking of the many intimate times spent together, cooking together, sharing food, sleeping in his arms, feeling his tenderness and warmth, letting me in...

I know we never kissed but he was my boyfriend wasn't he...?

It's over.

I lost him.

I screwed up.