24. The rain shows up

The expected rain shows up and we take the party inside, continuing the silliness and playing games. The music is blasting and some are dancing. It's all nice but it feels a bit too much for me. I'm not used to so much attention and, amazingly, discretely manage to sneak out on the front porch.

The rain is pouring heavily and the metallic smell of the wet bannister soothes me. I love that smell.

I hear the music inside and the laughter which is comforting.

Nostalgia takes over me, but when I hear Kirishima asking where I am, I feel the need to escape. I've not had enough time alone yet. Give me another ten minutes please. I know he won't let me, trying to make the most of my time.

I know one of them will come out in a minute and I walk to the end of the porch, jump over the rail and hide on the side of the house, getting wet, which doesn't bother me.

I can hear the door opening and music louder before it closes again. Sneaking my head discretely, I see that they have gone back in.

I am soaked, so focused on hiding that I didn't think about covering myself with my quirk.

A slight noise next to me makes me jump. Bakugou is walking away. Was he there all along? Should I say something?

"Bakugou!"

"What do you want?!?" He stops walking.

"What are you doing here?"

"Nothing. Too noisy inside. I thought it would be more quiet here but you showed up, like an annoying dumbass." He says, turning around to face me, hands in his pockets.

"I'm going home tomorrow."

"Who cares?"

"You do."

"Tss. I don't."

"Why did you tuck me in my bed last night?"

"How do you..." He looks surprised.

"I fall asleep on my chair. I wake up in my bed. Window unlocked." I'm gonna do this. I need to tell him how I feel. "Why don't you just admit you care about me?"

"Because I don't. All that matters to me is becoming the number one hero. I can't have distraction." These words hurt. They hurt like hell. Why did I fall for such an asshole? Why couldn't I stop myself? Why... why did he make me feel so special?

"I am distraction?" I ask anger rising. "Only a distraction to you?!?" I can't believe this man. I guess it was always one way. I helped him pass the time while I fell utterly for him. What an idiot. My heart aches and I don't know if I'm crying or if the wetness on my cheeks comes from the rain still pouring down on us.

"I'm sorry." I scoff. So now he's sorry? Why?

"I'm not... Thanks for making it clear and easier for me to leave!! Asshole." I drop, feeling my lips trembling. I'm so glad he can't see the tears that I am now sure are running down. I don't want to give him the satisfaction to see how much he hurt me and I just walk away.

"You're with that bastard anyway."

"And who's fault is that?" I'm not gonna tell him I'm not. What is it to him?

"Mine." He looks down.

"Why did you make me think we were more?! Why did you leave me?"

"We weren't together... yet..."

"We were in my book! You were everything to me!" My throat hurts from the anguish building up. He steps forward, but I step back. "Why couldn't you understand I didn't want to talk about my dad? I didn't lie! I was angry at him. I told you everything that night but you weren't listening."