Short Story

The sound of the leaves crunching under his feet were dull as he quickly stumbled along the narrow path. His breath heavy as he held his stomach, the pain being nearly unbearable. A loud ringing in his ears, a thumping heart forcing his surroundings to be incoherent. Though, he was very aware of the crude looking creature following not to far behind. He could hear it's cries and twisted version of his own family calling for him to come back.

He screamed as a stabbing pain ran up his leg. He crashed to the ground; his eyes watering, he sobbed out loud, holding his leg as the bone was gave way and was now protruding through the dirty flesh and muscle of his leg. He tries to muffle his screams as the burning sensation was be coming to hard to bare.

He knew he couldn't stay there, it'd come for him, he wasn't fully sure what it'd do but he wasn't interested in finding out, as he weakly pushed up using his good leg, he felt nauseous, but pushed it aside. Once he put pressure on his leg he felt a tremor vibrate up his leg making the nauseous feeling stronger than before, he lurched forward as he vomited into the shrubs.

His vision was faint as he struggled to breathe, falling to the ground, he felt a looking feeling above him.  He'd been to slow. It caught him. He'd die right there where he laid. He fell back as the creature stared at him from it's perch on the tree. Never moving, just watching him...

"AUH-" A scream caught in his throat as he woke from his nightmare. Lifting the cover to check his leg to reassure it was merely a dream, he placed a hand on his chest as he tried to calm his breathing, "You're okay, you're okay.. ", he whispered.

Flopping back down on his bed, forcing his tense muscles to relax, he stared at the ceiling. 'That felt way too real', he thought, wiping the sweat from his brow he flipped over to his side staring at the window, honestly expecting eyes to be peering back at him.

Sighing in relief he closed his eyes and fell promptly back to sleep, not even noticing his door opening.