Prologue

"That restless ghost is becoming a problem" The voice hisses through the empty space high above the mortal world. Even clouds swirl far below the home of the spirits.

"We cannot interfere directly with the human's lives, that was the deal" Another, more authoritative voice comes booming back through the clouds.

"Is there anyone coming who looks promising?" The voice becomes clearer as the spirit of the West Wind arouses his consciousness. Winds pull together to form a blurry outline of a man.

Dishni, The King of Spirits answers him, "Yes, I have seen one with great potential. She carries the blood of the half-spirit Bendithio."

"I'm afraid you are one step behind me again, my love," Vystra, The Queen of Spirits intercedes. She is made of nothing but moonlight, drifting gracefully between her husband and son.

"You are always looking ahead, how could I possibly keep up?" Dishni teased, his fiery persona lighting up when he sees his queen.

The Spirit of the West speaks up again, "I have looked ahead at your human choice. You are correct, she is strong and pure, with natural talent, but with only one claim she cannot possibly defeat the spirit. It grows too powerful too quickly."

"I am aware, Kast." Vystra replied to her eldest son, "That is why I propose a special circumstance."

Dishni paled slightly, his sunlight weakening into a sickly yellow, "You cannot be thinking that we both claim her, no human should wield that much power."

"If any human has the will to do so, it is she. We shall surround her with those blessed by our children, who will aid her if she is to succeed." Vystra countered.

"And stop her if she succumbs to power," Kast points out.

"Yes," Ceded Vystra, "But have you seen her love? You know that the human capacity to love saves many who would take the wrong path."

Dishni sighs, "We shall bring it to council. As I suspect you will get your way, you best be right."

"This is our best chance. Look down at how peaceful the seven countries are. Their people will be drowning in blood within a lifetime if we do nothing to aid them. She is our best chance." Vystra turned to her husband and son, "Call all of the spirits, the minor ones included. We will decide together on an action such as this."

Kast scoffs in shock, "Even the Pyrinoi spirits?"

"Even the Pyrinoi spirits."

Dishni sighs, "We have not called them all since the Year Of Destruction more than a thousand years ago."

"This time we have a chance to stops things before it becomes a calamity. Let us not be blind this time." Vystra looks down once more on the lands of Eyenwar. The six mainland countries and the volcanic islands of Pyrinoi are enjoying the most peaceful time in history. And it is all about to change.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hello reader!

If you read my prologue and are totally confused, I hope that you will continue reading and see if you can figure it all out. I had a blast writing this book, and I hope that you will have just as much fun reading it. If not, tell me why! I want to get better, so share with me what you found confusing, or annoying, or just plain unrealistic. If first person narratives aren't for you, I warn you that the remainder of the book is written that way. I hope you'll give it a try anyway, but if not, thanks for stopping by!

Have a great day,

-Aislinn