Prologue.

Then.

I am breathing heavy, gasping for air in the dark. Mia is beside me, blonde hair whipping around in the wind, lungs reaching for air as well. Sophie is sprawled on the ground, back to the deep dark sky as the officer squatting over her secures her cuffs in place. I feel the cold metal shackle my own wrists and I realize how badly we have fucked up. 

Now. 

Today the air is salty like taffy sold at the boardwalk two miles down. We are driving down the coast at exactly the speed limit in a stolen banana yellow '69 chevy convertible. Mia and Sophie are tamer now than they were then, mellowed by time and consequences. We are looking for redemption. The stolen car doesn't count. An empty 7-eleven slushie cup rolls around in the backseat with me as Mia takes a safe turn, not wanting to draw suspicion to ourselves as we approach Emerald Isle, NC. The sun beating down is unforgiving, searing tan lines into our legs where our tiny denim shorts decline to trespass. We are cruising toward a beach house we heard of through a friend of a friend, one that should be empty for exactly two months as summer just begins to split open like a flower in bloom. The neighborhood is sleepy; the slow breeze blows sand across the cracked road and the locals lay about lazily in the heat. Something turns my head to the right, and I see him tanned from life on the coast, sitting on his front porch steps. We lock eyes as the bright yellow convertible rolls by, and I smile at him. Neither of us know how badly we are going to fuck up each other's lives.