Chapter One

Note: I will be following the manga, not anime.

You, (L/n) (Y/n), never expected that you would somehow become a pillar. Your strength, undeniably, was an abundant amount, and you had easy control over your breathing techniques- but.. was this really something you wanted to do?

Becoming a demon slayer wasn't something you took to heart, after all. You didn't have some sort of sob story. Your parents are alive (and well, actually), your siblings were out doing whatever it is they wanted, and you... somehow, you were the one to take up your mother's dream of becoming a demon slayer, and even more than that, you ended up becoming a pillar.

Your mother's own breathing style, which is that of emotions, was one that was not easy to practice. It took you over 19 years (you are now 22) to completely master it. In order to completely be able to master that breathing technique, you'd need to learn how to have your emotions in undeniable check or else it'd mess you up for good.

When your mother first started teaching you, you'd have horrible mood swings just after using one of the fourteen known styles, and it caused you to do things you never wanted to. It was a painful experience, and you never liked it. You even almost dropped trying to master it if it weren't for the death of your grandmother- your mother's mom.

Her last dying wish was to see you be able to finally master the training— which you decided to grant her years and years later. Was she still watching you now? Hopefully so, in the heavens above where she belongs.

"Oyakata-sama..." You called out to the blind man, causing him to hum. "Are you sure that... that this is a good idea..? To make me of all people a pillar...?" You mumbled, scratching the back of your head. Oyakata seemed to have noticed your sense of doubt, causing a smile to rise to his face.

"If I really wasn't sure, do you think I would have given you this position?"

His words caused you to go silent for a bit. You were truly an idiot. "I apologize for doubting you, Oyakata-sama." He smiled and reached over to pat your head. You actually weren't close enough to him to allow him to, so quickly and quietly, you let your head land underneath his palm.

Patting your soft strands of hair, Oyakata turned his head down towards you. "There is no need to be sorry, (Y/n)-san. More importantly- you shouldn't doubt yourself. You are more than worthy of this position. Take it, and see yourself further into becoming the best pillar you can to save the innocent from demons." Leaning your head down, you closed your eyes.

"As you wish, Oyakata-sama."

"Child... carrying a demon...?"

You mumbled to yourself as you crossed your legs. Your haori's sleeves, which was a larger size than you, hung deeply over thighs as you leaned forward. Shinazugawa Sanemi grunted as he sneered.

"Yeah. The fucker was trailed the day before. You weren't there, since you just became a pillar 'nd all today. By the way, congrats." You were surprised to see the usually angry and brute man send you a soft look of pride. You and Sanemi had been friends for a while longer than you think you two have been, even going as far to introduce him to your family.

Your parents never really liked how vulgar he could be, but nonetheless he was always accepted in, along with his younger brother, Genya. You never understood why Sanemi always treated Genya so poorly, even after finding out the truth, so, whenever Sanemi was away, you'd always seek the poor boy out and spend time with him in his stead.