The championship win

I am currently getting ready for an interesting weekend. It is the last race on the IndyCar calendar and I find myself in an interesting position. I can win the championship if I come fifth or higher in qualifying or the race. The only issue with that is I have to gain four places. I say four but it is actually five places but my teammate and I have agreed on the fact that he will give up his position if he needs to. Hopefully, he won't have to because I want to win the championship fairly. My thoughts are soon interrupted by my teammate. He seems unusually happy considering that he might have to give up his position in fifth for me. We will see what happens.

"Good morning Mickey. Are you ready for today?" My teammate, Marcus Ericsson asks as he gets to work on checking on me. It is something he has done before every race.

"Well, Marcus, that depends on how my mechanics are doing with the repairs from free practice," I reply. The thing is I know they would have pulled an all-nighter for me since a lot of them knew my father. Yes, I am a second-generation racer. Despite the fact that they are doing this as a favour to my father I appreciate the work that they have done to get me here.

"Anyway, I have to check on them," I pull myself away from Marcus. I soon made it to the garage. I reckon the mechanics are just about done. I am able to guess because my lead mechanic is writing some notes down. He seems a little bedraggled. The classic sign of an all-nighter. I definitely should have stayed back for an hour at least to help but the past is in the past. He is quick to list the repairs that have been done. There were a lot of them since I somehow lost control on my in-lap for practice. Not the smartest thing I've done.

"Felix you should get yourself a place to sleep," I dismissed the bedraggled mechanic. I also passed him some money for a cup of coffee from one of the better coffee shops around the track. I know how hit and miss coffee is in the hospitality area.

"Thank you, Mickey," He perks up a bit as he shuffles away. I don't know why the coffee in the hospitality area is bland. I put it down to the fact that it was my boss who made it. After thirty minutes of waiting the car is finally ready to go. The thing is I am not sure that I am ready. Well, I have to do what my dad was unable to do during his time in IndyCar. I get to work on making sure I can get the most out of the laps that I have. It doesn't take long for me to feel comfortable with where I am at. It doesn't take long for me to reach the garage where I find my eyes glued to the timesheet. It is looking like Marcus will not need to help me at this rate. After ten minutes of waiting, I am relieved to find my name in the fourth position with Marcus behind me. Thankfully that means I won't need to take the position from Marcus. It is the day after and it is finally the day of the race. I am a little worried that the issues with the car will flare up again. That is why I am checking with Felix.

"Felix, do you think the issues will flare up again?" I ask. I reckon I am annoying but Felix has put up with me for the whole season.

"I hope not," Felix replies.

"Mickey, you worry too much," Marcus interrupts as he joins us. Is it really that obvious that the pressure is getting to me? Well, it probably is.

"I can't help it. I'm this close to being the first female IndyCar champion," I respond with a gesture to emphasise my point. It will be interesting to see what would happen if I got the championship win. At least Marcus is someone that cares about his teammate. There are only a few people in my career that have truly cared like Marcus. After a five minute wait, the race has gotten underway. I get to work on gaining one more place. I would like to end this race on the podium. Thankfully I see a gap. I go for it as we reach the first bank. After thirty minutes of cruising along in third disaster strikes.

"Mickey, I need you to be careful. The breaks are just about gone," Felix uses the radio to inform me. Not now. I mean we have thirty minutes left but still. That means I might not have control around the corners.