38. Please wake up

"Please wake up!" I plead worried he might not, his handsome face peaceful.

I shakily check his throat and can definitely feel his pulse. His chest is moving so he's breathing. He's just out but I don't know how bad it is.

"BAKUGOU!! WAKE UP!!" I shout desperately, feeling my eyes burning and my nose running. I can't lose him.

"Will you just fucking stop screaming dumbass! I have a splitting headache." I chuckle, relieved he's conscious, fighting the tears that were about to come out.

"Well, your head is split open so that explains the headache."

I sit him up and check the wound right at the back of his head. It looks deep and is still bleeding.

"We need to go to the hospital." I say ripping my sleeve at the top seam and pulling it off my arm. I kneel next to him and am about to wrap his head with it when he pushes my hands off.

"I'll be fine." He says trying to stand up but feeling dizzy, ending up sitting back on the ground.

"The hell you're fine!" I say with authority, grabbing his head and wrapping it tightly with my sleeve.

As soon as he is patched up, he grabs my covered arm and stares at me concerned.

"You're injured!" I didn't even realise that the top of my forearm what burnt from my wrist to my elbow. The adrenaline rush must have hindered the pain. I still only feel a slight tingling.

I stand up and help him before showing him my back. "Come on! Climb on, I'll carry you."

"HAHAHAHAHAHA!! NO WAY!"

"WILL YOU STOP BEING A CHILD AND JUST LET ME HELP YOU!!"

"SINCE WHEN HAVE I EVER LET YOU HELP ME?"

"AARRRGHHH!! YOU'RE IMPOSSIBLE!!"

"I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE!!" His face drops as he is distracted by the sight behind me, the building now ablaze. "That was close."

"I'm sorry."

"What's wrong with you? You used to be so level headed and something tells me that, to get to number two so quickly, you must have been calculating and being prepared. You looked like a crazy rookie in there. Injuries?!?" He adds, grabbing my wrist and lifting it so that I can see the bad burn on my arm from close.

"I'm just tired. I've been after him for so long. And if I can't catch him after what he did to my mentor, I might as well never go home."

"Your home is here too you know." I am shocked by his words and the softness in his eyes. He really looks worried about me.

"That's not the point."

"Well, running carelessly in a burning building like an idiot is not the Mikki I know so you better get your act together otherwise you'll never catch him."

"Let's go to the hospital. You need a scan. Something wrong with your brain. You make way to much sense." I say looking at him cheekily.

"Ha............ Ha..........! Very funny!" He say unimpressed, punching my shoulder gently.

"At least lean on me. I'll get us to the hospital quickly. It's only a couple of blocks away."

His arm around my shoulders and mine around his tight waist (god I feel the curves of his core muscles under my fingers), we slowly slide to the ground along the buildings until we get there. It takes him no time to get his balance. He's a natural.

As he is being stitched up, I sit on the bed next to him quietly, while the nurse applies a cream and wraps me with gauze. His scan showed no damages and I tease him that it doesn't make any sense because how else would they explain his sudden wisdom.

As I sit on the side of my bed, facing him, the nurse behind him, he looks at me and in those few seconds, I swear I hear him talk to me. His gaze is reassuring yet longing. I watch his chest rising with every breathe and my hands on my knees, I am about to reach for his when I hear her.

"Oh mon cœur! Are you okay?!?" I get shivers from my lower back to my neck. I'm sure she's doing this. She barges in like she owns the place, her arms full of shopping bags and glances as me with spite.

"I'm fine." He says focusing on her and looking at his eyes now, they are as blank as they were at the gala. She leans in for a kiss and I have to look away if I don't want to physically feel sick.

"Thank you Solidair! Thank you for making sure he was being treated." If she didn't sound so dramatic, I would probably fall for her act. "I know he can be strong minded. I'm surprised you didn't need me to convince him to get checked out."

"He's a grown man. He doesn't need to be brainwashed to know what's best for him." She throws a vile look in my direction. "Now that you're in... hand, I'll go." I can feel that I'm no longer needed as I no longer recognise the man sitting in front of me, the one that doesn't seem to care that I'm leaving now.

"Okay." He says cluelessly.

My heart is broken seeing him like that. I wished I could report her but I can't because that's what he wants apparently.

On my way out, I stop by the bathroom and lean over the sink, splashing water on my face and washing my hands from his dried blood. What can I do about her?

As if on queue, I hear the door and I don't know why but I can sense it's her. Maybe because she's using her quirk to make me feel nauseous.

"I thought that you left."

"On my way." I say, about to pass by her but she stands in the way.

"Listen, I don't think you should pair with Bakugou anymore, leave him to Hawks."

"I'm sorry, and what do you know exactly about our operation? This is strictly confidential."

"I know the two of you are working with Baku and Kiri that's all."

I nod, knowing pertinently she is lying.

"And why does it matter to you if I work with him?"

"I can sense how upset he is after he works with you. It's not helping him recovering."

"Recovering from what exactly?" I ask defiant.

"It's confidential."

"So he's a patient? Or your boyfriend?"

"My boyfriend of course." I am now hit by an extreme feeling of sadness and melancholia. "Just try to keep your distance, will you dear?"

I'm not answering and leave the washrooms. The overwhelming feeing is taking its toll on me and I rush away through the hospital, away from her, as quickly as possible to shake this awful feeling of sorrow which has now brought up tears.

Even though less acute, this feeling is sticking with me until I get home. A crying fit in the shower forces me to crumble to the floor, burning my throat from all the sobbing and whining I cannot control. I eventually come out, drained, still crying, and put my PJs on before entering my living room. The feeling of relief I experience seeing his playful self entering through my balcony French doors is unbelievable but I still burst into another sob again, and see his face suddenly covered in worry.

"What is it? Mikki! Talk to me! What's happening?!?" He asks rushing over, noticing the bandage on my arm and cradling me carefully in his.

I can't talk, just cry, my emotions exhausting me and my legs giving away. Picking me up, he carefully places me on the bed and joins me as I cry in his arms.

He's not saying a word for the next ten minutes, just embracing me with all the tenderness in the world.

I eventually feel like the pain is leaving my body, as he kisses my head. My breathing settles and I don't ache so much anymore.

That bitch.

Rubbing his chest, I look up at him, meeting his devastated eyes.

"I'm okay now."