39. You are not okay!

"You're not okay. What happened?"

"I saw Céline at the hospital."

"How did you injure yourself?"

"We came across Dabi and our suspect. They escaped but not before setting the place on fire. Bakugou and I barely made it out alive because I was being reckless and we jumped through the window but he got hit by some debris and was out as we were flying down. I braced his landing on a nearby rooftop but he was bleeding. He woke up and I took him to the hospital. No brain damage..." I chuckle. "- No more than usual - just stitches. Céline joined us and then followed me to the bathroom, 'requesting' than I no longer pair with him because apparently I'm not helping his recovery."

"Why the tears?"

"I don't know. I think she used her quirk on me. I felt broken, sad, excruciatingly lonely and my heart was physically aching. I rushed home thinking that if I was out of her range, it would go away but I still felt it until now. It was awful!" I say snuggling closer to him.

"Either we underestimated her quirk or she was outside your door to be able to make you feel that way. That would be creepy."

"But not impossible if she works with Le Chiffre." As we've been talking, he has not released his embrace on me and I'm glad. Against his chest, hugging him back, I feel safe. "I'm glad you dropped by. I missed you."

"I missed you too."

I look up and am pulled by an irresistible force. His eyes strip me from any other thoughts than the urge to kiss him, but I know that if I do, I may break his heart. I don't want that.

He pulls me close to his face, also taken in this intimate moment and I tilt my head, avoiding what I have been yearning for.

"I'm sorry." I say softly.

"Mikki..." He whispers, stroking my jaw, making me regret this last move.

"I'm so sorry."

"I know you feel something for me."

"I do, but is it enough? I'm scared to hurt you. I really don't want to hurt you." I mumble closing my eyes.

"How is kissing me hurting me? How is giving in to your feelings hurting me? I feel the same."

"I don't want you to get attached. I'm not good for you."

"Nonsense. You're perfect."

"I'm not. You deserve so much better." I say my lips trembling, moved by a remnant of emotional strain. I push away and sit up, rubbing my face, stiff from all the tears I've shed.

"Stop it! Is it still her quirk? Is she doing this? Or are you just being an idiot?!?" He asks, now sitting next to me.

I stare at him in shock, not knowing what to say.

"It's not her quirk. I can find plenty of reasons why this is a bad idea. I can't get attached. I'm too driven. I live in France. I'm not over..." How do I say this?

"You're not over your ex?" Shit. "Yeah I noticed that. But maybe it's only because you think he's in danger."

"I don't know. Regardless, it's not fair on you. I don't want to use you for comfort."

"You were okay using me for something else." He raises an eyebrow.

"It was consensual."

"It's consensual this time too."

"Sleeping together is different, physical, less emotional."

"Let's just have sex then."

"I can't 'just' have sex with you now."

"Why?"

"You know why."

With no warning, he grabs my nape and pulls me so close to his face, his lips ghosting mine, that I can't control the untameable desire he generates. He's not moving any further but makes it impossible for me to move away from the enchanting sound of his heavy breathing, matching mine.

"Kiss me." He murmurs so needingly that I forget my earlier arguments, giving in to the most basic emotions I feel.

I move closer and my lips land on his, dancing sensually. I've missed his lips so much, his touch, his body, his grasp on me.

His arms now wrap me and pull me down so that I lay back next to him.

Wait... what am I doing? Are we 'just' gonna have sex? Is this what I want? Are we... oh my god, his lips are in my neck, kissing me, biting me, sucking me, his silky hands snaking their way under my hoodie and caressing my back. What was I saying? I forgot.

He's setting my body on fire with his touch and I know the inevitable is coming, when he comes back to face me, his eyes scanning my submissive expression. I want the man and I won't fight it even if, ultimately, it means pain for the both of us.

And if you think I have enough self control to stop this, A - you're overestimating me, B – you've never been pleasured by a man like him.

His breathing settles, his face gets serious, and he brushes a strand of hair behind my ear, sighing deeply, before sitting back up.

I'm confused, and lift myself, back hugging him between his wings.

"What's the matter?" I ask kissing his cheek.

"I can't do it."

"Maybe I can help?" I propose suggestively.

"No! No! That's not what I meant."

"What is it?" I tighten my embrace, as if I could squeeze an answer out of him.

"I want you but I don't think I can have all of you yet. I feel that tonight, I could just have you because you know I'm a god in bed."

I burst into a laugh shocked by the confidence of this man and how little self-control he thinks I have. And then, I realise he's right and quiet down.

"Oh."

"There's more to me than my skills, you know?"

"Oh I know!" I say going around him to sit on his lap, holding his face in my hands, and stare at his soft golden eyes as he cradles me. "Hawks, I know there is." I drop softly, stroking his cheek with my thumb. "The skills is just... bonus." My cheeky wink makes him chuckle. "Stay with me tonight. I'm not expecting anything. Don't feel that I'm using you for comfort. I just need you after the evening I've had."

"Mikki. It's okay to need me. I'm not feeling used. I know you'd do the same for me. We are friends after all."

"More than friends."

"More than friends. I'm here for you. Always."

He stands up and takes most of his clothes off, sheds most of his feathers, moves the ones on the bed to the floor and joins me under the covers in my sports bra and shorts.

Lying on his side, he pulls me close to his bare chest and even though I can appreciate the man's indisputable outstanding physique, I'm not aroused by it, not right now.

I just feel safe, cared for.

"Good night Mikki."

"Good night Keigo."

His warmth and the light wind of his breath on my hair send me to sleep.