Kalix <3

(This is pre-dating Kat and Alix)

OMNIPRESENT, MIND-READING NARRATOR POV

"Hey."

Kat would have recognized that voice anywhere.  She turned her head.

Alix was in the doorway. Her short black hair was damp from swimming in the sea. Her sea-colored eyes were staring straight into hers. 

"Um, hey Alix. What– what are you doing in my room?"

"Uh– just felt like dropping in." Alix could feel herself blushing slightly as she sat down next to Kat and held her hand.

"Oh-okay." Kat's heartbeat got slowly faster. She looked at the floor. "Um, I like your hair."

Alix chuckled. "Thanks." 

There was silence.

"Uh– would you like to touch it?" 

What the hell was that, Alix, Alix thought to herself, smiling awkwardly; touch your hair. Pull yourself together.  

Kat furrowed her eyebrows. "I mean... sure?" 

Awkwardly, Kat put her hand up to Alix's head and pat it lightly. She then pat her head a bit more firmly. Alix was only getting redder.

Alix's hair was soft and damp, and covered in sand. Kat pet it softly and and sighed, now kneading Alix's scalp. I love that girl. I wanna hug her and laugh with her and for God's sake, kiss her right on the lips if it's the last thing I do...

It was only when Jonathan came to their room that the spell was broken. Kat realized she had been petting Alix's head for far too long. She pulled her hand away forcefully and looked away. She gave an awkward chuckle and cleared her throat. 

"Um, hey." Jonathan said, smiling. He observed the two girls, and squinted. "What are you two doing... together... alone... sitting next to each other on the bed in Kat's room, knowing that everyone else is still out swimming..."

He realized what he said as he said it.  Kat and Alix could feel themselves getting redder and redder.

"No... did you two..."

He glanced excitedly at the two of them. Alix took a sharp breath in. 

"Did you kiss?!" He exclaimed, his smile getting bigger every second. 

"We didn't–" Kat tried telling Jonathan, but he didn't see.  Alix was pretty much the colour of a tomato now.

He yelled through the door. "HOLY SHIT! GUYS, COME HERE! IT HAPPENED!"

"No-" Alix tried to say, but it was too late now. Sarah and Ethan rushed into the room, ecstatic. 

"Congrats, guys!" Sarah's smile stretched through most of her cheeks. Ethan laughed with joy. 

As Sarah went in for a hug, Kat sighed. "No, okay? We didn't kiss."

Sarah moved away from Kat. Ethan and Jonathan stopped laughing. Everyone went still. 

Finally, Ethan broke the silence "What?"

"I- we didn't kiss." Kat sighed.

"Then why did you..." Ethan trailed off, and looked Jonathan in the eyes. 

"YOU SON OF A BITCH!" Jonathan was now running at full speed away from Ethan, who was now chasing him with anger in his eyes. Screams were heard from afar about 'you fucking idiot'  and 'getting my hopes up' and 'how dare you' and 'screw you, Jonathan.'

"So, I guess there's no reason for me to be here now. I guess I'll just leave," Sarah said, disappointed and grimacing. "See you both around."

Alix and Kat looked each other in the eyes. Alix stared laughing. Kat opened a smile, which eventually turned into a chuckle, until both of them were laughing so hard they couldn't breathe. 

"What was that about!" Alix laughed, gasping for air between sentences. "A kiss! Us! Can you imagine?"

Both of them stopped laughing. They sighed happily. 

Alix stammered. "I–I mean... it's not that I wouldn't... you know... kiss you..."

Alix looked at Kat's lips wistfully. Alix quickly added, "Um, but like, I, I wouldn't either, you know... like, if it was life or death, I–I might..." her words were fading as Kat gripped her hand tighter. 

Ethan, who was chasing Jonathan nearby, stopped running and peered into their room. He sighed.

"Jesus fucking christ. Just kiss already, you two."