▹ A trip down memory lane

Nostalgia is bittersweet. The memories of what once was is beautifully tragic, and even the happiest of memories can leave a sour taste on the tongue. The pathway isn't much different, in fact, there wasn't a single thing that had changed about it. Still as peaceful as the last time he got to see it.

Sounds of shoes scuffing against the muddy pavement combined with the melodic song of the birds chatting away in the trees. If you listened hard enough, you'd hear the calm breaths of the two males and maybe the traffic in the far distance. Through the secluded part of the park, George walked with Jungkook, hands tucked in his pockets as he took in the view around him. Trees loomed over the two of them, sunshine managing to peek in through the cracks in the leaves. 

It was another five minute walk before the rushing water welcomed them, the peace beckoning them in. The rocks they used to find comfort on when they needed to sit down waited for them. Jungkook ran ahead, throwing his head back with a sharp hiss of bliss fullness as he took his respected seat. That had always been the rock he sat on from being sixteen when they first started to visit the place. The largest rock that was situated right beside the mini waterfall.

They hadn't visited this place in years, when schedules got hectic and the two began to grow older, they found no use for it and the mere memory slipped to the far back of their brains. The last time they saw the waterfall was when Jungkook was eighteen, but they had been visiting since he was sixteen. It was their safe haven; George took Jungkook there when he was homesick and they would sit talking for hours on end.

On the days that the boys had some free time and George got to pick Jungkook up from school, they would go to the waterfall; George would help Jungkook with his school work, he'd talk him down when he was feeling stressed and it became a place for the two of them to distress and just be themselves.

"The waterfall seems so much smaller now that I'm bigger," Jungkook commented, nodding to the mini waterfall. The younger remembered being so infatuated with the view that he used to wish he could pick it up and take it back to the dorms with him.

George nodded his head, sitting down on his own rock which was on the left side of the younger, and a flash of his younger self appeared before his eyes. Oh, how they had grown. George almost felt emotional as he looked back at Jungkook, realizing that he wasn't a baby anymore.

"Feels like meeting an old friend," George finally spoke up, glistening eyes trailing all around, taking in every detail. "I can't believe we had forgotten about this place."

The memories had been returned to them whilst going through a photo album with the rest of the boys. A selfie that George and Jungkook had taken whilst by the waterfall when they first ever discovered it had appeared on the table and raised the question of where they were. It took a while before Jungkook finally regained his memory of his once comfort place, and the two made a deal to revisit the waterfall.

"I remember that one time when I was just so stressed out and I called you. You didn't tell me to get on with it, you just came and got me out of school early and brought me here... it was the first time I ever cried in front of you," Jungkook reminisced, smiling at the image of sixteen year old Jungkook being cradled by George on the rock he was sitting on in that very moment.

Suddenly, that day felt like yesterday. It had been a stressful week for all of the boys, but it had taken a mental toll on Jungkook. George didn't have to think twice that day before getting him out of school. And it was one of the days that Jungkook will forever hold dear to his heart.

"I got into so much trouble that day, but I don't regret it and I never did. I would've done it again ten times over if you needed," George replied, a confident nod followed his response.

"I always knew I could count on you after that day," Jungkook mumbled, feeling a little shy all of a sudden. "I used to refer to you as my older brother to all my friends at school."

A sense of pride washed over George's face, a smug smile appearing on his lips making Jungkook groan, his own look of regret starting to show. He hadn't intended on adding to George's ego, and he knew that no matter what he said from then on, George wasn't going to let him take it back.

"Older brother huh?" George couldn't hold his giggles. "I'm your big brother? I was cool enough for you to mention me in front of all of your friends? Oh I'm flattered."

Jungkook pushed George with a whine, now feeling slightly embarrassed. "Yah! Hyung! Stop it."

George chuckled, readjusting himself on his rock after being nudged to the side by his younger member. Quiet loomed over the two and George found himself admiring his Maknae. The tattoos that adorned his body though still managing to make him look so innocent, the new eyebrow piercing that suited him so well. The way he had now completely grown into his features. He would always be a baby to George, but he looked much more mature now.

With a sigh, George leaned over and rubbed the back of Jungkook's head affectionately, finally uttering the words that had been on the tip of his tongue.

"You grew up well, Jungkook. I'm proud of you."

____________________

was kinda emotional whilst writing this, i won't lie.

thank you so much for reading, this wasn't proofread but i hope you enjoyed anyway.

you are greatly appreciated 💜

— blue x