Chapter 01

"We are sure about what we are doing, aren't we?"

They looked at the papers they were about to sign, knowing they were one step away from changing their lives forever.

Carlos smiled and signed without saying anything, turned to TK, and handed him the pen, with a smile that took up almost half of his face.

"Ty, I'm scared to death, just like you. We're about to take such a big leap that getting married now feels like child's play." Carlos held his husband's chin and gave him a tender kiss on the lips. "But you don't know how much I want to live every step of this journey with you."

"How can you be so sure?" TK said with a long sigh. "I look in the mirror and I still see that kid with so many problems with himself that I don't know how I can even consider the idea of being a father."

"Just think of the advantage you have." TK stared at him with a strange look on his face, not understanding what he was referring to. "Yes, you have been through much, much more than me and that is an advantage when our son or daughter needs your help. I'm sure you'll know how to answer him or her much better than I. He or she will always know that they can count on you."

TK pointed a finger at Carlos and began to smile at last.

"Don't you ever think of making yourself less of a Detective, Reyes? Just because you didn't try to kill yourself because the guy you were with is banging his gym instructor doesn't mean you won't be a good father."

Normally, TK had learned to see his past for what it was, a past that wasn't coming back and had led him to where he was.

Many times, they had talked about it. if it hadn't been for Alex and him committing the pill foolishness his father wouldn't have taken him there and he and Carlos wouldn't have met.

It sounded strange, but it had been perfect.

"So?"

Carlos gestured for him to take the pen. TK looked at it, that much was clear to both, it was the biggest step of their lives. They were going to be parents, as soon as they sent those signed papers and received the reply they would start their journey.

*

The sound of the phone ringing on the bedside table woke Carlos up suddenly. He rolled over and tried to pick it up in the dark. He almost threw it to the floor but managed to catch it, sat up, and answered.

"Good evening Is this Mr. Reyes?"

He heard a male voice say on the other end of the phone. He turned to TK who was sleeping soundly, he had had a double shift with the ambulance and was exhausted, so he didn't wake him up until he knew what it was about and who was calling in the early hours of the morning.

"It's me. Who is it?"

"Sorry to bother you at this hour, I'm calling from Austin Health Hospital."

Carlos sat up suddenly and tapped TK to wake him up. Something had happened to Owen and his father; he was sure of it. Those two stubborn people who didn't want to retire had gotten themselves into trouble and now it would be their turn to be read the book, for wanting to keep thinking they were young.

"Hello... Hello yes, has something happened?"

TK rubbed his eyes, as he woke up completely and stared at Carlos waiting for him to tell him what was going on.

"It's about..." Here it came, Carlos hoped it wasn't serious and that they wouldn't have to regret the recklessness of any of their parents. "...your son. Benjamin has had an accident with his car. He was driving in a considerable state of intoxication."