The Ancient One

Dumbledore stared blankly up at the sky, accepting his fate. He knew, after all, that it would come to this.

He couldn't even recall what hitting the ground felt like, as he felt his soul being whisked away a moment before.

It felt like a failed apparation, and he felt the universe collapsing around him, atoms falling apart and reconnecting to different atoms to form something new. Something foreign. Something different.

Energies he never felt before were forming around him, energies far greater than anything that he had ever felt in his world- the world he'd left behind only what felt like seconds ago. Entities far more powerful than Merlin himself.

Next great adventure, indeed.

He felt a shift around himself, too. Atoms around him whisking quickly and a beautiful euphony of noise sounded. Cosmology was something that he had always subconsciously studied and felt, but you can never know everything about cosmology. The universe was too vast, too wide, to know everything about it.

To be fair, he was expecting something more saturnine. Not a confluence of power.

As seconds went by, he could only sense. Sense but not see. Then, one more effusion of energy was sensed before he could see. He could feel, too.

He looked around curiously, as sounds and surroundings were delineated. Particles took formation and formed a setting, the setting becoming more detailed by the second. He felt light, like a balloon, but then he didn't. He was corpulent.

He could smell, and hear, he was fully cognizant.

"You do not belong." A curious voice sounded, voice so loud on Albus' virgin ears.

"This is not what I expected of a posthumous escapade." He replied, turning around to face the magnate who was speaking to him.

"You're foreign to this world, to this universe." The being continued, giving Albus a look that seemed to pass through him.

"I am not home, anymore. All of this, all the beings here, or none that I have familiarized myself to." Dumbledore found himself telling the bald woman.

"What is your intent, being here?" The bald woman asked.

"I am yet to figure that out. This world, all its noise, all that it radiates, it is too loud. Everything is... amplified. I feel like a little kid again!" He elucidated, eyes sparkling and taking in his surroundings like a kid in a candy store.

"You are a kid. A youngster such as yourself might be  considered old where you come from, but there are many here who are far older than you may comprehend." The woman replied breezily.

"What is your name? What are you?" Dumbledore had never felt so clueless and pristine, but he'd be damned if after a century of having the world in his hands, he wouldn't cease the chance of experiencing something new.

"I am The Ancient One. And you are?" The Ancient One prompted.

"Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore." He took it upon himself to introduce himself with his full name, because he had a feeling that The Ancient One had already known.

She had the knowledge of the world, the universe. Maybe there was a being that truly knew and mastered cosmological knowledge.

"You are... a wizard?" The Ancient One asked Albus.

"Yes." Albus nodded, fishing around in his eccentric robes with a frown. "Would you happen to have lemon drops in this universe?"

The Ancient One smiled kindly. "Yes." She sobered into a more serious expression, though.

"The fact of the matter is, Dumbledore, is that you are not supposed to be here. Your presence here can change what needs to happen. You should leave at once." She suggested.

"I don't know how to, Ancient One. This all is new to me. I am not used to the feeling of being uninformed." Dumbledore said.

"You are to wander elsewhere. I do not know how or why you are here, but I have foreseen it. Bad things will happen if you do not leave immediately, and you should use your prescience as best as you could." The Ancient One warned.

"I will heed your warning." Albus nodded.

"I cannot help you, for this is your own... great adventure. Best of luck." The Ancient One said, using her sling ring and effectively opening a portal to Kamar-Taj.

"I would've offered you tea, but bad things might've happened. Entities are already starting to sense your presence." The Ancient One added, before the fiery portal closed, leaving Dumbledore at the top of a clocktower in London.

"Uh..." Dumbledore frowned. For the first time in ages, he felt like crying of frustration. He knew he was being a little dramatic, but he knew nothing about anything here, except for the fact that there were beings that he could never dream of.

He was standing at the top of a muggle building, a well-known one at that, so his first course of action was to get off.

'Maybe...' He thought desperately, with a burst of stupid inspiration. He thought it made perfect sense though, and his days of naive mistakes were done for. He has to play chess with himself as a piece now.

Without a third thought, he disillusioned himself and jumped off the tower, falling quickly. He closed his eyes and right before he hit the ground, he was gone, his soul and his new body going through the shift of atoms this time.

He felt like Albus Dumbledore again, and he was pleasantly surprise to be in a white bland glowing train station. The familiarity of Kings Cross was comforting in a way, but now he just didn't know what to do with himself.

Time wasn't a concept here, though, and he eventually just wandered endlessly, wishing he'd had his lemon drops. Lo and behold, they appeared right in his hand. He shrugged and put one in his mouth, and thank for he could taste it.

He thought he'd just wait. So far, he'd say his next great adventure was going great.

I was inspired to write this by an ultra violet monster and this was actually less fun than I thought it was going to be 😴 I should get a hobby... exactly 1,000 words though so cheers

The Ancient One is who Dumbledore wishes he was. That's the whole point of this story, thank you.

The thing about this that I'm most proud of is the cover