38. Peek into the Secrets

"Ariana, are you alright?" There was an urgency and panic in Xavier's voice. The information that she wasn't feeling well hadn't been forgotten and was in the back of his mind through out the day, which resurfaced on seeing her color-drained face.

Hearing that, everybody's attention diverted from Nate. But before their judgmental gaze could land on her, courtesy of a certain pretender, Ariana quickly retreated to her stoic face. "How dare he address me in such an informal manner in front of all as if we were close?" She complained to Saoirse. 

"She is not. Just some hours ago, she fainted after climbing the stairs." Luna Barbara whined.

Xavier jumped up from his seat with wide eyes, starling everyone. "Let a healer be fetched this instant!" He ordered. Guards standing at the door rushed outwards immediately on the command of their King. 

"There's no need to bother anyone. I'm perfectly fine now." Ariana tried explaining as she stood up from her seat anxiously.

"Do you need some medicines or fruits or some special dish?" Xavier asked worriedly without addressing what Ariana had just said, acting as if she hadn't said anything before him at all.

Ariana bit her lip in slight frustration. "Your Majesty, I appreciate. I really do. But I do not wish any fruit or dish or a healer." 

"You do not wish it but you require it." countered an offended Xavier.

"Now he's just making you seem ungrateful in front of everyone. Just make him sit his royal arse down, please." said a tired Saoirse to Ariana. 

Ariana flickered her glistening eyes directly towards him. "It touched me that you still care for me."

Xavier's heart skipped a beat. 

"Of course, I do." He wanted to say. But not in front of everyone. Whatever was left between them and whichever direction their relation would go, it involved him and her only. The only person he desperately wanted to explain his actions to was Ariana. Not Nathaniel or his courtiers or the Kingdom. Only her.

"Otherwise His Majesty isn't under any obligation as he isn't my brother-in-law anymore sadly. I wasn't here to express it before but my greatest sympathy to you as well as the former Queen." continued Ariana calmly with puppy eyes. 

She sat down slowly and didn't even bother to look at others for their reaction. She simply didn't care if they thought she was being petty and insensitive. "Why should I? One day they condemn me for wrongly accusing the King while the other day, they commend me for being their savior. Opinions of those who change on a whim aren't important." She reminded herself.

Persephone looked as if she could murder Ariana right then and there. She glanced at Xavier for support but he wasn't looking at her at all. He had sat down and was clutching the wine glass tightly with a blank look on his face. 

She then turned to Nathaniel to find him looking at Ariana proudly. It angered her even more when she got reminded by herself that even her father wouldn't berate Ariana anymore judging by the amount of regret she had seen in his eyes.

Alphas and Lunas of same pack had already started discussing among each other through mind-links on the chances of Ariana actually being their King's mate. They had already figured that Persephone wasn't his real mate as which werewolf would separate from their mates willingly especially after marking? And the extent of concern and lenience being shown to Ariana by their King added to their suspicion.

After half an hour, the dinner program ended with last bites of desert of slow eaters. Xavier stood up. "We thank all my lords and ladies for their lovely company. Good night." His eyes lingered on Ariana for a while before he stepped aside from his seat and walked out of the dining hall.