~Chapter 1~

The year 1548
Sina, France

(Y/N's POV)

As I grabbed the small, weaved basket, I made my way towards the door. It was my day off of work, seeing as the couple I work for, Hange and General Levi Ackerman, have been invited to the castle for Prince Jean and Princess Historia's wedding. I locked my front door and started walking towards the center of the town. I walked towards the bakery, only to see it had closed. I sighed and found myself a nice wooden bench to sit down on. My attention turned to a man with a scroll as I heard the sound of trumpets fanfare to the town.

"Citizens of Sina, if you may all gather around. I have dreadful news," the announcer shouted. Everyone started to gather around him, but I stayed put. "It is with great sadness that Princess Historia Reiss has met herself with death. She was poisoned by her personal maid."

Gasps and cries were let out by all of the townspeople. I myself grew sad and felt embarrassed to be a maid.

"Due to the loss of the Princess, Prince Jean is on the search for a new wife. Here in my hand holds a list of names suggested by the nobles to be considered of choice!"

Considered? Was he talking about normal Townspeople?

"The Prince took matters into his own hands and believed that maidens of his future kingdom shall help him lead! We have recommendations from men such as General Levi Ackerman, Pastor Nick, and many others! Here is the list of maidens selected!"

General Levi? I worked for him! But there's no way he could possibly suggest me...

"Mikasa Ackerman!"

Mikasa? The only thing royal about her is how much of a royal pain in the ass she is. She's Captain Levi's Cousin, but her parents died when she was young, so Levi and Hange became her guardian. She would purposely make large messes, and laugh at me when I was all dirty. Plus, she was jealous of my friendship with Eren Jeager. Carla Jeager, the baker and Eren's mother, was very close with my mom growing up. Eren and I had a good friendship, but I stopped seeing him once he and his father joined the military police. His father, Grisha Jeager, created many weapons for the military and was well respected in our kingdom. Carla and Grisha were like parents to me, including Hange and General Levi. Eren was the greatest brother anyone could ask for. Mikasa? She could fall in a well for all I care.

"Annie Leonhart!"

Annie. She was quiet, but I already knew she had feelings for the town's librarian, Armin. They were cute together, and they seemed to bring out the best in each other. Annie was nice, but she wasn't the extroverted type. I have a feeling she would reject the offer of the prince.

"Sasha Braus!"

Sasha. One of the nicest maidens in the town. We weren't crazy close, but she always said hi to me when I would pick up groceries for Levi and Hange. Her father and mother ran the orphanage in town, not to mention the farm they own, and Sasha helps grow their crops and sell them. She was quite the foodie, that's for sure.

"Pick Finger!"

Our town's shoemaker. She was very kindhearted and intelligent, and the quality of her shoes was amazing. I remember when she created my dance shoes for me. She always invited me to dinner with her when I was on days off, but I knew her as more of the independent type. She honestly didn't need a man.

"Petra Rall!"

Petra, the florist of the town. One of the sweetest girls I knew. She was one of my best friends, almost a sister to me. She was a bit older than the prince, so I'm not sure how that would work.

"Y/N L/N!"

I froze. I couldn't believe I heard my name. I walked up to the announcer's assistant and took my scroll. I heard the announcer say a few names, but I rushed to my home instead of staying for the rest of the time. I tightly gripped the scroll in my hand and walked back to my home. I sat down on my chair and opened the scroll.

Y/N L/N. It is with honor to announce that you have been selected to be considered as the new wife of Prince Jean Kirstein. A carriage will be sent at noon to bring you to the castle. You will live in the castle until Prince Jean has made his decision. The process of elimination should go quickly. There's no need to pack belongings unless you would like to bring something special. We hope you take our request and you will soon possibly be Mrs. Prince Jean Kirstein.

I put the scroll down on the dining table and ran upstairs. The carriage would be here soon, and I don't want to forget anything. I grabbed my bag and placed a few books, my favorite bow, and dancing shoes that Pieck had made for me in the bag. I loved to dance, especially ballet. Even if the art was created about 100 years ago, I deeply admired its history. I looked out the window and saw the carriage outside my door. I took a deep breath and exited the place called home. I was greeted into the carriage and stepped in. The horse began walking and I looked back at my small house. Who knew if I would ever see it again?

The carriage had arrived at the gates, and my eyes grew wide. They slowly opened and I was greeted by the beautiful castle. I was astonished by the architecture. The carriage had stopped in front of the steps, and the door was opened for me. As I stepped out, A butler, The Queen, and the Prince stood in front of me. I saw the Prince's eyes widen once I made contact with him. I felt flustered and stepped closer.

"Your Majesties, This fair maiden here is Y/N L/N,"

"Pleasure to serve you miss Y/N, I am Mr. Smith, but you may call me Erwin," the butler introduced himself.

"Welcome to the palace dear, my how beautiful you are!"

"Oh my, Thank you! It's such an honor to be here!" I spoke with a bow.

The prince stood there with his mouth wide open. He took a few inches closer to me and reached out for my hand. He knelt and kissed my hand. His beautiful brown eyes glistened in the sun, and his lips curved into a small smile.

"The honor is all ours, Y/N"