The Missing Piece

Could you ever imagine a world where there are no breakups, no heartbreak. A place where everyone was part of a two piece puzzle and your soulmate was your other half. Not chosen by race or gender or even where you live on the planet, no need to date someone, you know it won't work out with because your pieces don't fit. Well that's pretty much the world I live in. The puzzle pieces are charms on a bracelet assigned to us at birth. No one, except a specific group of people in the government called the elders, know how the pieces are assigned but no one really seems to care, everyone's happy with their perfect match.

The bracelets work somewhat like a button, you press it when you're ready to meet your soulmate and it gives you information on them and a way to contact them. I have always been way too scared to even think about pushing that button, there are too many factors involved, too many what if's. Maybe I'm just being paranoid but I don't think I'm ready to meet them just yet. I'm not the prettiest of girls i have light green eyes, i'm terribly pale, and my face is covered in freckles, my hair is always messy, frizzy, tangled, and really curly, oh and i just absolutely hate the color, a bright red, i'm pretty skinny, not bony but definitely don't have much skin on my bones.

I go to Palace High School, a very prestigious preparatory school. Here at Palace everyone strives for perfection and if anyone falls short of that they are either kicked out or bullied. PHS is obviously filled with rich white snobs a.k.a not me. My family consists of just me, Ashling, my mother, Cassidy, and my little brother, Aedan. I'm 16, my mum is 32, and Aedan is 11. My mum works two jobs, and I have to work too, just to pay for our house. I go to Palace on an athletic scholarship, I'm a soccer player. Palace may be prestigious when it comes to academics but its students are just regular teenagers so you better believe that there's drama.

The only way I would ever be able to survive PHS is with my best Friend Luna, she's 16 too, brunette, hazel eyes, and caramel skin. Luna and I practically grew up together, we tell eachother everything, we both agreed to find out who our soulmates are at the same time, so she's waiting until I'm ready. Luna is an only child and lives with her mum and dad, Erica and Anthony. Luna doesn't get along well with her parents so she spends most of her time over at my house, she helps me get through my life and I help her get through hers. My mom and Luna's parents went to PHS together which is where they met. Our moms are best friends and live across the street from each other which is how me and Luna met.

Me and Luna share a birthday, January 1, 1988. We've been inseparable for the past 16 years and now Luna's moving away. I have absolutely no idea how i'm going to survive without her. I never thought I'd see the day that i wouldn't have Luna right there by my side, and just like that, she's gone. It'll be impossible for me to live without her, i've never had to do that before. I won't survive without her, i don't want to. Hopefully me swallowing these pills will kill me so I won't have to live without her. Wait a minute, what do these pills even do? Oh well I guess we'll find out, won't we.

it's only been a minute or two and im getting dizzy, i'll lay down for a bit. My vision is blurry, I'm drifting in and out of consciousness, and I have a pounding headache, I hope this hurries up. Soon all I see is deep, dark, cold, blackness and for a second I think I'm lost in oblivion.

Seconds later these huge bursts of light brighter than the sun, brighter than anything I've ever seen before. These pastels, blues, pinks, purples, every color you could ever possibly imagine, brighter than you could ever imagine. When I look down at my feet and I can see my reflection, I might be standing on some sort of black glass, as I'm looking down I notice there's a piece missing from my bracelet.

I'm immediately snapped back to reality laying on my bed with only two thoughts on my mind, finding that missing piece, and figuring out what that dream could've possibly meant, if it even was a dream at all. I search for hours, and hours for that missing piece. I've looked everywhere, PHS, my house, Luna's old house, EVERYWHERE. At this point I'm starting to panic.

Losing faith in myself I decided to go back to my second mission, figuring out what that dream was all about. I went back and looked at the label on the bottle of pills I took but the name was scratched off. On the bottom of the bottle read "interdimensional travel take at your own risk". I was in shock, not knowing how to react. I just sat there for a few minutes staring at the bottle. An hour passes and I finally decide to take another pill.

This dimension is different from the last, instead of bursting color in a black room it's a completely white room with absolutely no furniture or decor, save a single painting, a white painting, of an eyeball that seemed to be moving. The painting was very tall, it stretched from the floor to the ceiling almost as if it were a door, unless... maybe it is a door. I walk up to it cautiously and try to pull the canvas towards me like a door. Next thing I know I'm being pulled into yet another dimension, again drastically different from the first.

The third dimension is just splattered in color, as if someone took a paintbrush and started flinging paint everywhere. In the far corner of the room is something small and shiny glinting as the bright light looming above me reflects off of the object. I get closer to the object and realize that it's the missing piece of my bracelet. I reattach the piece and decide that i'm finally ready to know who my soulmate is.
I pushed the button only to find out that my soulmate is the one person i've loved the most my entire life, and the one person that is now no longer in my life... Luna.

i have to get back to my dimension, i have to find her, i have to tell her that i love her and that she's my soulmate, my other half, my one true love. When i finally got back to my dimension I raced down to my mum and out of breath asked her where it was that Luna had moved to. She looked at me, confused and concerned, and said "Denver, are you ok?". I quickly yelled that I was fine as I raced out the door and into the car.

I currently live in Vacoas - Phoenix, Mauritius which is 17,285 km away from Denver, Colorado. I speed and drive as fast as humanly possible to get there. When I finally do get to Luna's house I nervously knock on her door. When i tell her everything that's happened and about her being my soulmate she doesn't believe me, calls me crazy, and slams the door in my face. I don't let that discourage me, try and try and try until she believes me. When she finally decided to believe me i was so filled with joy and happiness the only thing i could think to do in that moment was grab her by the face and kiss her... so i did. I have never been so happy in my life and no other moment could ever compare to this one and the feelings it gave me.

A/N:

I really hope liked it I know it's short but it's the first story I've ever made and I finally decided to share it let me know what you think and if you think I should keep making more stories

If this one does well enough I might think about making a part 2