Just For One Night

"Thank you for completing your commission requests today, traveler! I'll see you tomorrow!" The ever so cheerful Katherine said as Lumine collected her rewards.

She has enough mora saved to feed both herself and Paimon, as well as pay for a room at an inn.
Things in Inazuma are a lot more expensive compared to Liyue and Mondstadt, so taking extra precautions was necessary.

"I'm starving! Let's go get some grub!" Paimon floated excitedly around her companion.

"Alright but nothing too fancy, we have to save for somewhere to sleep tonight. It'll be better if we just get ingredients and make our own food..." Lumine sighed out, she was far too tired to cook.

In fact, it seemed she was too tired to do anything ither than walk herself to the inn, she envied Paimon for being able to float everywhere.
Lumine had two chicken and fish skewers, she gave the rest to Paimon; they made their way to the inn after their meal.

Sweat made Lumine's blonde hair stick to her forehead, it was just another day of destroying Hilichurl towers, fighting travel hoarders and running errands for people in the city.
Today, she run into her first electro abyss mage; that was going to leave a bruise in the morning.

What hurt the most was just seeing the mage, every time she looks at them and fights them, she's reminded of her brother. And flashbacks of fighting the abyss herald and reuniting with her dear Aether, knock her off her feet.
There are many times Lumine regrets not asking to go with her brother, but she couldn't leave her friends behind, not while there is so much to do in Teyvat.

This night, she wanted some quiet and alone time with her thoughts. Luckily, Paimon had passed out rather early, allowing the traveler to have some downtime.
She brought her sleepwear and a towel with her to the bathroom before filling up the tub with warm water.

As she got in, Lumine could feel her aching body relax, the water doing wonders for her bruises. As she bathed herself, her thought about her friends back in Liyue and Mondstadt, and how she hopes everyone is safe and happy.

It was t long after that Lumine got out and began drying herself off before slipping into her comfortable clothes. A yawn escaped her as she headed back to the bedroom, one of her fists came up to rub circles against her eye.

She was just about to climb into bed before someone grabbed her from behind, covering her mouth. Oh no.
She wasn't near her weapon, her only choice was to use her elemental powers against this stranger.

She lifted her hand but before she could do anything the stranger had spun her around.
.
.
.
Lumine's heart dropped into her stomach.
It was him.
It was really him.
Her brother had come back to her.
Aether removed his hand from Lumine's mouth.

"A-Aether!"
And he immediately placed his hand back.
"Shhh." He pointed to the sleeping Paimon.
The traveler looked over at her companion who was snoring away peacefully. Paimon can sleep through anything, especially after a big meal.

Lumine sighed, losing her tone to a whisper.
"What are you doing here? Last time we reunited—"
"Not here, come."
Aether took his sisters hand and led her out of the room, before Lumine could step foot out she stopped, looked back at her weapon and then at her brother.

Aether sighed in frustration, he was angry that she no longer trusted him.
"I came alone, you'll be safe with me."
And though she hesitated again, she eventually followed suit, allowing her brother to lead her.
It seemed they stayed at the inn, but changed rooms. It was odd that he had a room here, did he know she was here? Has he been watching her all this time?

She took a seat on one of the brown wooden chairs, her fingers interlocked to keep herself from nervously fidgeting as Aether stood in front of the door.
There was an awkward silence for a long while before Lumine mustered up the courage to speak.

"Why are you here?" Was her first question.
"I missed you." Lumine shook her head.
"Why are you in Inazuma? How did you know I'd be here?"

Aether let out another sigh as he made his way over to the chair opposite Lumine, taking a seat.
"I told you, I've already traveled this world. I know where you are, because I've done it before."

This confused Lumine even more, yes he did tel her this back when she and Dainleif fought against the abyss herald. Lumine opened her mouth to speak again but Aether cut her off.

"I'm not here to discuss that now, I'm here because I missed you and I want one night with my sister."

The travellers heart felt sore and heavy in her chest, after everything that's happened, and everything that is going to happen. Why this?

"Aether why can't we just go home? Why are you working with the abyss? I just don't understand!"
Tears filled her golden eyes as she stared right into her twins own. Her hands trembled, with anger and with sadness.

Whether she was against the abyss or not; this was his sister. His twin, the person who knew him the best. Who was always there for him.
Aether placed his hands on Lumine's cheeks, sadness washing over him like a hurricane as he wiped away her tears.

"I'm... Sorry." Was all the golden haired boy could mutter, pulling his sister into his arms.
They embraced each other for the longest time, Lumine didn't want to let go but her eyes felt heavy, as did her arms and legs.

So they'd spend the night cuddling, sleepy talking about the stars and memories of their childhood together until they eventually fell asleep.
Lumine knew he'd be gone in the morning, but in this moment she didn't care. Just a few hours is all she needed from him.

.
.
.
The next morning she woke up back in her original room, Paimon still snoring happily.
And though she felt sad, she was also relieved to know her brother was safe.

Aether left a note for her on the table that simply read 'I love you.' Lumine would keep this on her person as a reminder of her goals.

✨✨✨

Thanks for reading!!
I'll be writing more Genshin stuff as well as Aether's POV if this story.