MCM: One shot story

Disclaimer:

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events, locales, and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.

All Rights Reserved 2021

~ MISS CONCEPCION'S MISCONCEPTIONS ~

***

Every morning as I passed by the streets on my way to work, I saw beggars and questioned myself.

"Why don't they work or do something to earn money not just by begging alms?"

I also get to see children on the busy roads selling candies, cigarettes, and some stuff not minding the risk they'll be facing. Another question popped up in my head,

"Where are their parents? Why don't they work and let their children go to school?"

I told myself again that these people are one of the reasons why the country is not improving.

On my way home, every night after work, I get to see ladies in their short shorts and sleeveless shirt or even a fitting dress with full make-up and high heels on. Once again, I asked myself.

"Do they have respect for their selves?" or "Is money more important than their dignity?"

I told myself that those women are one of the reasons why some men don't respect women.

I get used to those scenarios that keep repeating every day. The City was indeed an all-in definition of something. All opportunities that you can grab are here but also all the negative situations can be seen.

"Good afternoon Miss Concepcion! I already listed down the works to be done while you're on leave Miss and assigned it to the designated departments" my secretary informed me.

I am grateful to have hardworking employees. I don't have to worry about the office and works.

"Thank you, Sofia. I know I can trust you while I'm on leave" I commended her. She's the most responsible person I know.

I came out to my office and greeted everyone before I leave.

"Good afternoon! Please work hard everyone. I hope when I'm back all the assigned works are done"

***

It was a time in my life when I realized that I need to unwind from the stress at work. I was so tired of being in the City and decided to have a break from the endless work and pollution.

I want to visit my family because it's been ages since the last time and I want to have some rest in my hometown.

On my way to the bus station, I saw sidewalk vendors blocking the pathway that was supposed to be a passage for people. I asked myself,

"Why are they blocking the way, enduring the extreme heat of the sun and breathing polluted air near the highway instead of just finding other jobs?"

Finally, I arrived at the bus station and gladly got on a bus quickly.

It was almost full inside but the good thing was it was air-conditioned and the seats are bigger.

I have no choice but to sit on the nearest vacant seat.

I was seated beside a father and a son, maybe a 10-year-old kid and a late 20's man, same as me.

Somehow he was familiar. Realization just hit me. I know him. I know who he was.

As the engine started the child seems so amazed and excited. Then suddenly the kid shouted,

"Wow! the trees are running with us. Look! The clouds and sun are following us"

I was a little bit confused but didn't mind it at first. Yet, throughout the trip, the kid always said what he saw or observed.

He keeps on asking his father 'what is that?' or 'why is that?'.

I want to have a peaceful trip. Why is he so noisy?

The noise of the kid who keeps on asking questions annoyed me.

It was obvious on my face that I was irritated. I glared at him for a while, trying to stop and keep him silent but it didn't work, instead, he just smiled at me.

I was confused. But it made sense, maybe the child have special needs.

So I just sighed and looked away.

The kid finally stopped.

A few minutes later, the man talked to me and said,

"He just got discharged from an operation."

I see. I just nodded.

"Since his birth, he only saw nothing but black and after 8 years he finally saw the world, the place he always wanted to see and I hope he never gets to see how cruel and rude some people are, just like you"

I became silent and the kid as well. I want to vanish into thin air like a bubble. I was ashamed of how I reacted. I felt guilty.

Now, I know and I realized I was so wrong.

I didn't know what to say so I kept quiet until we arrived at the bus stop.

Before they got down from the bus, the kid approached me,

"I'm sorry"

And so I took the chance,

"I'm sorry as well. You should always appreciate the things you get to see and enjoy discovering more with the help of your dad. You are blessed" I tapped his head and smiled.

I looked at the man and said,

"I'm sorry for judging your child"

The man just chuckled.

"I am not his father, I am his older brother." Once again, I felt ashamed.

" You are still the same person I know 9 years ago, Stella Concepcion. You've never changed. Maybe that's one of the reasons why we didn't work". After he uttered those words, they got down from the bus leaving me behind.

My ex-lover just hit me hard. He was also the same. He didn't change a bit. His words still feel like a dagger to me.

I got down off the bus and walked home.

I was walking but my head was still filled with what happened earlier.

I had so many realizations.

I get to realized that maybe me being a judgemental person is one of the reasons why I'm still all alone and single.

I realized that before we judge someone or something, we have to know the whole story first.

The scenarios from the City flashed back into my mind.

Now, I understand that maybe they have reasons for doing those things.

The beggars, the children on the streets, the ladies in the nightclubs, and the street vendors.

There are a lot more stories behind those scenarios. Untold stories. Stories that we need to perceive, to dig down deeper for us to understand.

I am not in their situation. So who am I to judge?

I was wrong.

I was full of misconceptions.

***
A/N: Thank you so much for reading :)

Your votes and comments are highly appreciated ♡ Thanks.

Sorry for the typos and grammatical errors.
Hope you like "Miss Concepcion's Misconceptions "