Too Much

I know the show isn't the best representation for autism so i did a lil background research on the experience of sensory overload so I hope I did a good job - feel free to correct me and I'll change things

I get overstimulated so I have some idea of what it's like but I'm not autistic so I can't know for sure if the experiences are similar

I mean no offence to the autistic community nor any of my autistic readers 

Here is the resource I used for this: https://aimclinics.com/resources/helping-children-with-autism-avoid-overstimulation

Here are some resources based off the topic of this:

https://mycanopy.org/2020/04/over-stimulation-stress/

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/sensory-differences/sensory-differences/all-audiences

https://childmind.org/article/autism-and-stimming/

Shaun knew today was going to be a lot for him. He knew that it was inevitable to have a day where he would have a bad time at work. It was a prospect he'd long since come to terms with. When he saw the sunlight streaming in through the curtains, he knew immediately that his day was going to be rather troublesome. The light usually didn't bother him but this time it had. It was too bright and almost blinded him in an instant. After a few blinks, it died down to much more bearable brightness but it was a warning sign that his senses would be affronted for most if not all the day. He thought about telling someone, most likely Claire, as she was always quite understanding about this and a small part of him wanted to call in sick. Eventually, he decided on neither of these ideas. Sensory overload was a part of his life and this was a prime time to put in the research he'd done on how to deal with it. He counted back from ten as he'd seen one study recommend and got about with his usual routine, only taking brief moments of pause to deal with new stimuli. To get through the day, he'd need to manage and control as much as he could. Now he had the blessing of pausing, but once inside the hospital, it would be non stop for his entire shift. A sense of dread crept up his spine but he swiftly swatted it away. He needed to save people, he needed to get a hold of himself, he needed to go to work. After taking a bite of his apple and immediately regretting it as the crunch was almost deafening, he got his things and set out into the world.

The bus ride would have been hell had it not been for his earphones and sunglasses. The first was used to block sound and the second to block light. He knew that once he was inside the hospital he would have to disregard them and leave them in his locker which he wasn't looking forward to. Still, he was prepared and that's what he needed to focus on. He walked into the hospital and made a b line for the locker room, hoping that no one would be in there. He'd arrived slightly earlier than usual today purely by luck alone but he wasn't put off by it. If anything, this was a benefit as he had a few precious moments to recollect himself from the bumpy bus journey. He opened his locker and lingered a moment before pulling out his earphones and taking off his sunglasses. He took a deep breath and counted down from ten in his head as he got used to the muffled bustling sounds surrounding him. He could hear the distant sound of a keyboard clicking, footsteps rushing around and various beeping noises coming from the machines that kept people alive. Those would be the worst today. The beeps. They were near inescapable as they carried down hallways and were in every room aside from the lounges for residents. Even then, they tended to ring in your ears and follow you home. To keep himself centred, Shaun went over a study he'd read the night before on alternative medicine therapies for those with diabetes. He went through the hypothesis then continued to the control variables and the independent variables. The method was up next and he was pleased to notice that he'd managed to tune out a lot of the noise. He kept this in mind and mentally lined up a list of studies he could do the same steps with throughout the day. "Hey, Shaun!" Claire greeted, successfully scaring the ever-loving shit out of her fellow resident. He flinched back and was about to put his hands on his ears when he paused, catching himself. Count to ten. One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six. Seven. Eight. Nine. Ten. He nodded to himself upon completing the sequence.