5. Holly Golightly and Paul Varjak

TRIGGER WARNING: SEXUAL ASSAULT
please feel free to message me if you don't want to read this chapter & i can give you a recap of what happens instead

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

CHAPTER 5: Holly Golightly and Paul Varjak

People started talking putting us through our paces,
I knew there was no one in the world who could take it, I had a bad feeling.
— Dancing With Our Hands Tied, Taylor Swift

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

31st October, 1983: Harrington Home

OCTOBER PASSED AS QUICKLY AS NOVEMBER CAME, and Daphne was kept busy with rehearsals for the school play, student council meetings and cheerleading practice. She'd managed to keep her grades up against all odds and was still juggling her new relationship with Steve.

The couple went out for milkshakes after every football game and made sure to have a 'date night' every week. In Hawkins, 'date night' meant either the Hawk theatre, Gino's, or the roller derby, so things were starting to feel a little repetitive. Nevertheless, they managed to make it work. Steve asked Daphne to officially be his girlfriend at the beginning of the month, and things had been smooth sailing ever since.

Halloween was coming up, and Daphne and Steve had planned a couple's costume together. It had been Steve's idea, in honour of Daphne's 'favourite' movie, which was honestly very sweet of him, Daphne thought. Daphne and her friends had gone shopping the day before and the blonde was rather pleased with her Holly Golightly costume.

Halloween fell on a Monday this year, and the students all had the day off school, so Daphne had gotten ready with Meera and Fern at her house. Meera, as the designated driver, drove them to Steve's house in her usual convertible. Daphne fixed her hair about twenty times on the drive there, until the pins were stabbing her in the skull from all angles.

The three girls made their way up to Steve's door, chattering excitedly. This was the first real party they'd ever been invited to, especially with older guys, so Meera and Fern were buzzing on the high. Daphne, not so much — although she was excited to see her boyfriend and show off their couple's costumes.

Once inside the house, the sound of dozens of teenagers yelling and chatting flooded Daphne's ears. Most of the attendees were clutching red cups, dressed in cheaply made costumes from movies they'd probably never even watched. Daphne was surprised to see that nearly everyone was already wasted, and it was only eight o'clock. She spotted Steve in the crowd, chugging a beer while his friends egged him on, and made her way over to him.

"Daph!" cried Steve, wiping the beer off his mouth victoriously. Daphne smiled at him, silently checking him out. "You made it! And you look hot! You know, I think we might be the hottest couple here!"

"Are you drunk?" asked Daphne dubiously, as her boyfriend pulled her into his arms, squeezing her tightly. "I thought the party started at eight?"

"Never too early to get wasted, princess," one of Steve's friends responded, winking at her. Daphne wrinkled her nose and turned back to Steve, who tightened his arm around her.

"Some of the guys came over early," Steve slurred. "Wanted to get the good stuff before it was all gone. But don't worry babe, I saved the best stuff for you."