Chapter 16 {The Invitation and Dress Altering}

It's been around three weeks since Marmee was sent away to tend to Father in Washington... It's been tough at times but we Little Women have managed quite nicely if I say so myself... Laurie has been spending time at our home after he and Mr. Brooke are finished with his schoolwork, it's helped us bond even more whilst we are still postponing our courtship... 

In other news, Meg and I received an invitation to Annie Moffat's home as they are hosting a town-wide coming-out party! To give a brief explanation, it's when a girl is formally introduced into society as a potential suitor for the boys in town... I for one, was invited as a regular attendee and Laurie's date to this party, so I won't be participating in the coming-out festivities and staying the night, but rather a guest who gets to enjoy the fun which I'm quite excited about!

I was helping Meg pack her trunk by folding her undergarments, corset, and sheer tights whilst she picked out her dresses... We were interrupted when Amy skipped into the room and fell on the bed. "Curling papers! I knew someone had taken them! " She took a moment to take in her surroundings and realize what we were doing. "Where are you going? " She asked Meg, "On Thursday,  I'm going to stay at Annie Moffat's and Eliza is helping me pack. " Amy gasped, looked at me, and asked, "Are you going too? " "I won't be staying the night but I will be attending as Laurie's date. " I said with a slight blush at the thought, Amy's eyebrows furrowed, " You two didn't say! " "We only just got permission from Mr. Laurence. Marmee entrusted him with all such matters. " Meg responded as she folded her first dress into her trunk, Amy with a look of jealousy on her face remarked, " Marmee also told us to be indigent about our work. Meg, how can you abandon your poor pupils and Eliza, how can you be so enthralled by love? Both of you are gallivanting off at somebody's mansion is surely not being indigent, am I wrong? " My cheeks flushed profusely as I defended myself,  "I'm not enthralled in love! Laurie and I aren't even courting yet so how could you say that? " Meg smirked and spoke up, "The word is diligent, not indigent. And my poor pupils are going to the ocean with their parents because there's scarlet fever in town. " 

I realized how defensive I was toward Amy's remark and tried to calm the butterflies in my stomach. I know I'm not in love with him, yet, but I believe I could one day. What am I thinking, we haven't even begun courting! Yet the concept of love is very mesmerizing to think about... 

Meg placed her petticoat in her trunk and pulled me out of my thoughts. She had a look on her face and I knew she had to tell someone about what the party is about other than me and Hannah. I placed her folded tights over the petty coat as she smirked, grabbed her gloves, and excitedly said, "There's going to be a ball! Annie's sister Belle just got engaged! " Amy smiled and asked, "A ball, at the Moffats'? "  "I'm very excited! It's my first ball and I'm still worried about what dress I should wear! " I said with a laugh, Amy laughed and Meg giggled as she said. "It's all going to be so elegant. " Amy seemed to be daydreaming and asked, "Would you like to be engaged, Meg? "Oh, I'd like to be married one day, with a lovely beaded dress, a small strawberry cake, and a boy who loves me. " Meg said with an imaginative look on her face, she looked at me and asked, "What about you, Eliza? Would you like to be married? " I blushed yet again but before I could answer Amy said, "Oh, I know she does! Particularly with the boy across the street who takes her on walks to the pond every Sunday! " I gasped and felt my cheeks burn as Meg and Amy laughed, I giggled and said, "Amy March! " We all laughed and I answered Meg's question, "Well, I would love to be married! Maybe living in my mother's old house with little children running around, the smell of a fresh bouquet of flowers on the dining table, and a husband to kiss me when he comes home... And, I suppose I wouldn't mind if my husband was the boy across the street. "