Prologue (Teaser)

"I love you," I said with a smile. "Always." My girlfriend looked up at me with a smile.

"Promise?" She asks with her entrancing, watery, green eyes.

"I promise."

That was two years ago. The last day I saw my only love. It's funny the way life works like that. We say I love you, but then people just walk out of your life. Some people say those are lessons that teach you the way of life. Well I say that's complete bull crap. When stuff like that happens that's the worlds way of saying "you deserve nothing in this world."

My one and only love Camora. She was wonderful. She was everything a man could want and more. I have never been so completely and utterly consumed by another soul until I met her.

It was the third of October. I had just graduated high school the year prior. Normally I would be studying in the library of the enormous building. Instead I sat in my room staring at the wall. My apartment was old and rickety. My floor boards would always creak every time I would get up to get a tall glass of milk. It was a fairly nice day out, but I didn't want to do anything.

My phone chimed. I groaned in frustration as I grabbed it from my bedside table. It was a text from my buddy Alec.

Meet me by Old Martin's house.

Just great now I have to go meet this idiot at some creepy, haunted house. Just perfect. I had gotten out of bed to brush my teeth and comb out my hair. Most men my age didn't take pride in how they looked, but I did. I always have. I went to my closet to see what I had. I didn't have much because I hadn't done the laundry in a while.

Finally after some time I found a white button down shirt and some pleaded pants. It might've been a little too formal but at the time I cared about my reputation and keeping up appearances. Trust me I'm not an aragont person, but I'd like to think I am better than most people.

I walked into the main room of my apartment, looking around for my keys. I could have sworn I left them on the counter. It took a while but I found them hidden under the fruit bowl. Once I slipped on my black converse I looked around the house contemplating life. This had become a regular occurrence for me. I turned back around and twisted the door nob. Right as I opened door my phone buzzed again. This time it was from my boss.

When can you get here?

I scoffed. This was supposed to be my day off. I quickly typed a response and shut the door behind me. Marley my neighbor was out smoking a cigarette again.

"You know you should really stop with that." I commented. She looked up at me, blowing smoke out of her mouth clearly amused.

"Oh yea? What would you know about it boy?" She joked. I didn't take it was a joke though. I rolled eyes unamused and started to walk away. "It was just a joke." I heard her say although I was half way down the hallway by then. Truth was my father used to smoke. I still shudder every time I think about what he did to my mother and I.

Once I got down to the lot I clicked the button on my keys so I could find my car. I heard my car beep from the other side of the lot. I groaned in frustration as I stomped my feet towards the car. Why couldn't I remember to park my car closer to the building? Suddenly I smelt fire. I turned around to see a couple of hobos lighting someone's car up.

"Hey what the hell do you think you are doing?" I yelled. They all looked up at me with hazed eyes. They were either high or drunk. I couldn't really tell. I started walking quickly over to them. They didn't move a muscle. I wasn't really surprised. People like that don't care about human decency. "Get away from that car." I snapped at them hoping they would get scared and run off. Apparently luck wasn't on my side today because they stayed put.

"This is none of your business prep boy. Go to your job or something." One of them said to me. This guy had long grayish hair. It was matted with a few dirt patches. It was probably the most revolting thing I had seen at the time.

"Is this your car." I asked in a snarky tone. Of course I knew this wasn't their car. They couldn't afford it even if they tried. A few of them laughed.

"No." The guy with the matted hair said. I nodded my head and turned my head back towards the burning car. Whoever owned this was a woman. I could tell by the makeup sitting in the passenger seat and by the pink seat covers.

"My car!" I heard a high pitched shriek from behind me. I turned around to see a short brunette woman. She ran over to us, her face looking horrified. Now that she was up close I got a good look at her. She was like most woman. Full face of makeup, a put together outfit, and high heels, But what really intrigued me was the single earring she had in. I craned my neck to see if she had the other earring. Nope, just one. "You assholes think you can just light my car on fucking fire? I am calling the police." She snarled, whipping out her phone. One of the men ran up and grabbed the phone out out of her hands. She gasped as he threw it far across the lot.

"What the hell man?" I yelled again. The woman turned to me as I said this. "You best believe you will be going to jail for this." I snapped.

"The preppy boy thinks we are scared of him." The matted haired guy mocked. I rolled my eyes at his poor phrase.

"You don't need to be afraid of me. You just blew up this woman's car. If you didn't already know that's illegal. I don't think it's me you should be afraid of." I grumbled.

"Oh yea? Well there's five of us and one of you. I think you should be the one that's afraid." He said laughing. His little disciples laughed with him.

"Two." The woman said out of no where. The men turned to her with confusion.

"What?" He questioned her. She laughed slightly stepping closer to me. I was confused at her statement and her actions.

"I said two. There's two of us." She challenged him. I smirked and stepped closer to the group of men. The woman was at my side in an instant. The matted hair guy glanced at us for a second and motioned his men to follow him. We watched them run away. What a bunch wimps.

"Pity I was in the mood to knock some skulls in." I heard her whisper to herself. I chuckle at her comment and she turned a light pink color.

When they were out of sight I pulled out my phone and dialed 911 on my phone. When dispatch picked up I told them about the situation and the location of my apartment buildings. Once I was done with phone call I hung up and turned to woman.

"So I didn't expect a woman to be ready to jump in a pit full of pigs." I joked. She however didn't find this as amusing as I did.

"Are you saying a woman can't get dirty?" She crossed her arms and gave me a menacing death glare.

"No, No that's not what I meant. I'm sure you're stronger than you look." I stuttered putting my hands up in mock surrender. She have me another death glare and immediately burst out laughing. I raised an eye brow at this action.

"Relax I was teasing. Anyway to whom would I have to thank for coming to my defense?" She questioned giving me the most intense look.

"Damian, Damian Willstone." I introduced myself holding out my hand to shake hers. She hesitated.

"Camora Jennings." She said taking my hand and shook. I smiled and turned her hand over, leaning down to kiss it.

"Well it was a pleasure saving you, but I have to get going." I said. I couldn't keep Alec waiting. I've already put it off for about 20 minutes. Man wait until I tell him I got into a fight with hobos and met the most beautiful girl. He will be so jealous.

"Wait! Could I, I mean well, could I get your number?" She asked looking down at her feet. It was like my heart stopped. Did she really just ask for my number? Alec will definitely be jealous now.

"I mean sure." I answered. I tried to play it cool but I was afraid that came off as too excited. She looked back up at me with the most gorgeous pair of green eyes. That was the one thing I could never forget about that day.

We exchanged numbers and l left her next to the still burning car while I walked back to my perfectly new one.

That was the day I met Camora Jennings. The love of my life.