5. | 𝐨𝐩𝐞𝐧 𝐰𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝

the way that i
really can't wait to
get to the greedler
chapters tho >>

________________________

  The pep talk you and Onceler had on the bench brought some light back into his eyes for a few days. Of course, like before, the booing and yelling still continued, but he lasted longer than you thought he would. The jacket of optimism he wore was impressive, and you almost sort of wondered how he could stay so bright and cheery.

That is, until today.

You watch the crowd of people get more and more violent by the minuet. Laughing and sneering at something that someone worked so hard on creating. It was just a Thneed, bro. You didn't know why these people were being so obnoxious about it. It was actually really annoying.

Onceler stormed off the gazebo. His guitar was smashed into big pieces, scattered on the ground, where it was left to be further destroyed by a rotten little girl, dressed in yellow.
Tomato paste and whatever else, was stuck to him, along with a glare and dark emotions lingering behind on his face.

In your small ways from behind him, there was a timidness in your step as you follow along his sulking path.
"Wait, Once," trying to call out to him was basically useless right now. Letting him cool off was probably better.

"No, you know what? I-I'm done with this thing," The thneed around his neck was slipped off, and with one quick movement, he chucked it into the nearby garbage can. "My family was right, I quit!"

This is probably the maddest you've ever seen him. He was . . destroyed. Fuming, upset, all of the above. All you could really do was watch and support in times like these. He's made his decision, you figured to just let him be for now.

The ride home was silent, and even a little awkward, as the two of you sat side by side on the carriage. Your head was leaned into his shoulder, thinking.

Why didn't they like it?

The Thneed did anything a person needed it to do . .
You could wear it, clean with it, wrap things up in it, and the list only went on from there.

You feel his shoulder tense under your head. It snaps you out from your blind gaze at the fields of never ending Truffula trees. The colors become vidid to you again.
"Y/N, do you think it's useless? Be honest," Onceler broke the silence of the ride.
You open your eyes and lift your head from his shoulder. "I would've told you from the start if it was."

A soft sigh lets out of his chest, and he shakes his head. "You're right . . just, ahead of its time I guess." Onceler lets out a breathy chuckle, cut short. "Right?" His little smile crawling from the side of his face makes you smile back, weak.

With a slow movement, you grab his hand and pat the top of it. "Yeah. They'll see eventually! Don't worry."

His smile became a little more firm, and he nods along. "Yeah. Y-You're right."

Your hand gently strokes a thumb over the top of his knuckles. When you notice no sort of restraint on his end, you keep your hand there. It was comfortable, anyway. His thin hand fit perfectly in yours, and you liked it that way.

Onceler glances down to the both of your hands, then you, who was already looking elsewhere, silently trying to contain the butterflies inside of your chest, trapped, like a restless bird in a cage.
Onceler clears his throat, and you feel the warmth of his hand growing stronger. "So, uh, how long were you planning on staying out here for?" He asks.