Midgard Baking

You were always asked to make the dessert for every occasion. It was nothing new and you quite enjoyed baking. Although you felt your baking wasn't the best the team always told you otherwise. It was Peter's birthday coming up and Tony wanted to do something for the kid. You had to convince Tony to do something small for him. Peter wasn't one for extravagance but Tony always wanted to give Peter the world.

You go to the store with Wanda to pick up a few things you need. She also needs some stuff, she was helping with dinner.

"Have you met Thor's brother Loki?" Wanda asks.

"I haven't, his reputation proceeds him. I don't think I want to meet him," you respond as you look for the vanilla extract.

"I had no choice, I was in a meeting with Tony and the rest of the team and Thor introduced him to us," she rolled her eyes.

"Bet it was awkward." you press your hand on her shoulder as you walk past her.

"I'll let you meet him and tell me how awkward it is. To be honest, we did not need to 're'meet him, we know him. Thor was adamant that we hold that meeting and understand that he's changed and will be monitored. It's hard to put the past behind us when he created such chaos."

Wanda pushes the cart along behind you.
"I'm kind of glad I was stuck teaching Peter how to file paperwork. After the whole accords mess, Tony has been on this hype about reporting everything. Poor Peter already has enough with school work." you say as you walk into the next aisle.

"I understand why Tony is doing it, at least Peter will get a break this weekend," Wanda says as she points at the parchment paper.

You arrive back at the Compound. It's been agreed no one is to bother you while you're baking. You get so easily lost in conversation that you've put yourself in a time crunch too many times. Wanda helps you set out groceries and she takes hers to the other kitchen to start prepping.

You begin getting out all the pans and utensils you need. Thinking you are alone you talk to yourself.

"Should I color the cakes or just the frosting..." you say to yourself as you stare at all the things on the counter.

"I'll just start mixing and decide later..." you say as you begin washing the cake pans and the mixing bowls.

"To whom are you speaking to?" a voice startles you.

You look up from washing the pans and you see Loki standing in the doorway.

"I'm talking to myse...You know you shouldn't startle people like that, you scared the crap outta me," you say to him.

"My apologies, I did not know how else to announce myself," he says as he walks over to the edge of the counter.

"Thank you," you look up at him and he's looking at you intently.

"I am not used to being spoken to, I am usually spoken at. People here speak with such righteousness." he pulls a bar stool and sits.

"Only to you, I don't believe very many people like you," you say as you wipe down the pans.

"I do not care much about being liked," he grins.

"Anyway, Can I help you with something?" you say as you tilt your head slightly.

"Oh yes, have you seen my brother Thor?" he broadens his shoulders, you didn't think they could get any broader.

"No I just got in myself, last I heard he was attending a meeting," you reply.

"Ah yes. Hang on, my apologies. I am Loki son of Odin." he stands and extends his hand.

"Hi Loki, I'm Y/N," you shake his hand.

"Hello Y/N, do you mind if I wait for Thor here?" he sits back into the barstool.

"I don't think you were planning on listening to me anyway," you gesture to him sitting down.

-

You add the mixing bowl to the stand mixer and proceed to make the cake batter.

"Midgardians will avoid doing anything themselves," he smirks.

"I have other things I have to make. I don't have magic powers." you wiggle your fingers at him as if you are casting a spell.

He smiles and shakes his head with a small smile. He gets up and walks over to you. "Allow me to help," he says as he's looking down at you.

You hand him an apron. "I don't believe you need help with that," you tease.

He puts on the apron and turns to you.
"What do you think?" he signals down to the apron.

"You look great. Now add 3 cups of ..." you look around for the powdered sugar. "... this to that glass bowl." you hand him the bag.

"Powdered sugar? What in Odin's name is this?" he looks at it in disgust.

"Will you just add it to the bowl please." you point to the bowl.

You pour the cake batter into the pans and then remember you forgot to preheat the oven.

"Ugh way to go Y/N," you mutter to yourself.

Loki rushes over to you. "What is it? Have you hurt yourself?" he grabs your hands.

"I'm fine, sorry I just forgot to turn this on to bake the cakes in is all." you look down and he's still holding your hands.

You pull away. "Um did you measure the sugar?" you ask.

"Not just yet, I will finish that now." he walks back over the mixing bowl.

You place the cake pans next to the oven and glance over to Loki, he is using a dagger to level out the cups of sugar.

"That better be clean!" you put your hands on your hips.

He bites his bottom lip and tucks the blade back into his sleeve.

"Loki! Throw that out! That's so unsanitary!" you point at the trash can.

"We wouldn't want to waste it?" he shrugs.

"Loki please throw it out, you should've thought of that beforehand," you say as you grab the butter off the counter.

"Here I'll be in charge of the sugar and you mix the butter until it turns white and fluffy." you place the sticks of butter into his hands.

"But why are they warm?" he says in disgust.

The oven chimes, you are measuring the powdered sugar, and look around for a dish towel to wipe your hands. Loki watches you panic a little it makes him smile.

"I've got it, I will place them inside," he says as he walks over to the oven.

"Thank you Loki, Friday set a timer for 30 minutes," you say out loud.

"Who in the world is...." Loki begins to say as he is interrupted by Friday.

"Timer is set for 30 minutes starting now," Friday announces.

"Do you see what I mean! Can you not measure out time?" he smirks.

"Do you need to complain about everything?" you say as you scoop sugar into the butter.

"He indeed does," Thor says standing in the doorway.

"Brother," Loki says as he quickly removes the apron.

"Hey Thor, I put your brother to do something other than sit around and look pretty." you joke.

Loki looks over at you and half-smiles. "Hold on just a minute! I offered my help!" he quickly realizes what you just had said.

"We need to go," Thor says as Loki walks over to him.

"Always great to see you Y/N" Thor bows and leaves the room.

"See you later," you go back to what you were doing.

It takes you a moment to realize Loki is still in the room. You look up and he's smiling at you with his arms behind his back. You smile back.

"You better go before I tell Thor to leave you here with me," you say.

"It would be a pleasure, my dear." he nods and walks away before turning back to look at you once more.