Run Rosalyne

Rosehearth Village loomed beind a set of iron gates. The sight of it made Rosalyne shiver, not only from the whistling wind but from the mouldy substance covering the dark mansion. Shoving her cold hands into her pocket, she hesitantly crept up the moaning stairs. She glanced around the balcony taking in the rusty railings and the numerous cobwebs sitting in corners. Breathing a shaky breathe, she reached out to the door handle but it crept open itself, one centimetre at a time.

A rush of warm air brushed against her face and into the cold night air as she stepped into the mansion. There were  black marble stairs spiralling with a blood red carpet rolling down them. A glass chandelier was hanging from the ceiling with candles being the only source of light, showing a brief shadow of her reflection on the dark floorboards.

Rosalyne shrugged off her coat and placed it onto the coat rack next to the glass cabinet containing silverware. She turned to look at the sabinet and brushed a finger over the glass. There was no dust. Reaching towards the cabinet, she placed a hand on the handle and pulled. It was locked.

She turned around in frustration, colliding with a tall, youthful figure. In puzzlement she looked up to him. Thoughts whirled in her head like a hurricane, why was this ghostly looking boy in her new house? Before questioning the boy, he grabbed her hand and pulled her across the corridor and through numerous rooms. Rosalyne trembled with fear, wrenching along like a lost puppet. His hands tightened around hers as she tried to struggle out of his grip.

Putting a rough hand on her petite back, he led her to a small wooden door, standing out from the marble surroundings. He pushed her in and slammed the door shut. Rosalyne slumped against the floorboards, she looked down at her hands that were now red and burnt from his hard grip. She curled up wishing she could disappear from this new place. This house was supposed to be a new beginning, a new life but nothing will make her forget. She heard the key turn in the lock.

"I will not withstand the urge," The deep voice snarled from outside the room, "for I have nothing else to lose." Goosebumps began to take over her body. Something about that voice seemed so eerily familiar yet so distant and forgotten. She shook the delirious thoughts out of her head. It couldn't be him, could it? Struggling to sit in an upright position she looked around at the abandoned room.

There was nothing in the room. Not even a window in sight. Rosalyne was surrounded by four brown and bloody walls that felt as if they inched towards her by the minute, like an illusion. The room was stuffy and very hot despite the cold weather outside. She needed air. She had to get out and away from the revolting sight before her. The blood looked fresh as it slowly dripped down the walls making her go insane. there was a loud knock at the door. She scrambled, back ignoring the pain fo her burnt hands, and leaned against the corner of the room. No doubt was it the same boy that was slowly turning her life into hell.

The lock clicked and was pushed open to reveal the boy. She instantly began to panic. Digging her fingernails into her hand she hesistantly looked up at him. One hand was behind his back while he glowered at her. His eyes lowered down to her burnt hands and smirked in satisfaction making Rosalyne wonder if he kidnapped other people too for his own entertainment.

He slowly walked towards her making her tongue-tied in horror. She tried to glance at the object behind his back but it was impossible. He crouched down to her level with a mischief look in his eyes making her legs feel weaker than they already were. Her breathing became ragged by the close proximity of the boy. He pulled out a sharp needle containing a white liquid and whispered in her ear, "My darling girl, you'll be with the others in no time..."

Her stomach clenched in fear as he slowly inched the needle closer to her. Adrenaline rushed through her like an animal chasing its prey. The needle pinched her skin and she quickly shuffled away from him. This was her chance. She ran out the door. The boy cursed and followed her.

She ran passed numerous doors as she tried to retrace her steps back to the front door. The heavy footsteps of the boy echoed behind her as she hit a bench causing a glass vase to topple and break. Her legs were aching and she was out of breathe. She knew she couldn't keep running for much longer. She looked back, the boy wasn't there but she ran anyway. She turned into a room and ran up to the front door but stopped in her tracks.

Rosalyne heard movement from behind and debated whether she should turn around. She looked down at the dark floorboards and took a deep breathe. Turning around, she was shocked at the sight. The boy was now him. The man she feared, holding a gun in one hand and the needle in the other. Her screams were caught in the back of her throat as she stared at his black eyes in horror. There was no life or empathy, just a dark abyss.

"This is it," the man said, "I will complete the deed." She quickly fumbled with the door handle hoping to open it. It was locked. She banged the door in desperation. A screaming gunshot rang.