Prologue

Courtney

I sat beside my boyfriend in our boss' office. Ryan had been completely silent with me about the whole ordeal ever since word got around to the higher-ups that we had been together; and not just for a month or so. We'd been quietly dating for over two years. Somehow it got released by a Twitter account dedicated to Ryan and in the matter of a night it was pulled from the account with others which  led us to a meeting with Roger. 

Roger had never been very strict with any of his employees but he made sure that we all stood in line when necessary. Ryan and I both knew this, that's why we had been mum for so long. We both didn't want to end up where we are right now. Because believe me, being under the scrutiny of Roger was never a good feeling.

When The glass door shut behind me, I tensed up. Trying to relax my shoulders, I took a calming breath; but it did nothing to stop the queasy feeling in my stomach. I had been feeling so sick these last few days thinking that both of our jobs were on the line because of this.

"Ryan, Courtney." Roger addressed us with a polite yet serious nod of his head.

We both gave him our attention as he sat down. I started shaking my leg out of anxiety, a pronounced habit. Ryan's eyes moved to watch it for a second. I knew he was wanting to place his hand on my knee. It always calmed me down and I could use it right now, but it wouldn't be the best to do it now. Instead, he moved his eyes away and kept his hands folded in his lap.

"I understand you all have broken a clause in Miss Lane's contract." He had flipped through a couple of pages of what had to be my signed contract before stopping. Turning it around so we could see it.

Even though I knew it was there, I still looked at the rule that had been why we kept it quiet. My cheeks flamed pink as embarrassment took over.

"And now I have no choice but to fire you, Courtney." Roger cut straight to the chase, not sparing a second thought about anything. After he said that, time seemed to stand still for a moment. My breathing stopped as my heart crumbled. I was hoping we could resolve this another way.

It was the first time Ryan spoke, and I wish he hadn't after hearing what he had to say to him. "What if we broke up, you could put her with Joey and I'll take his PR guy, Brett. Then I won't have contact with her and you don't have to fire her." It felt like I had been gut-punched hearing his words.

How could he say this so easily?
Break up?
Had our relationship not meant anything to him? 

I had to bite my tongue to stop crying while Roger thought about it. If that's how it's going to be, please fire me, at least then we don't have to break up. Did Ryan not think of this? I would give up my career for him. I love him that much, and I'm sure I could get another job.

"Fine. I'll draw up a new contract and let Joey know. Miss Lane, Mr. Blaney I expect this to end and for you not to have any contact outside of work. If anything like this happens again while you both are working for me, I will have to do an immediate release of you both." 

I couldn't hold in the gasp of air. What in the world has Roger been thinking? Was our relationship really bad enough for him that if we got back together he would get rid of us both?

Without another word of the contract, we were dismissed from his office. I couldn't even look at anything but my shaking hands. When Roger let us go, Ryan was out of the hallway and racing to the elevator trying to get as far away from me as he could. 

In complete shock at his actions and the events that led to them, I went to my office and collapsed against the shut door. My eyes filled with tears and my chest ached, as if my heart had just been ripped out. But I guess you could say it had been. Ryan and I were over.

How in the world did someone even find out about us in the first place?