Chapter 1

I’ve been walking the streets for a while now and it’s some what empty, being this early some people are only now getting up.

You might not know me, but we will get to know one another through the story.

For now my name is Haley D'Milio. I’m a 23 year old female. Living in the big New York City. I’ve been here for a while and moved here from Italia. I’m a doctor at the private hospital and for my off time I help out with the family business because of my promise I made a long time ago.

Right now I just got done with my 20 hour shift and I’m heading down the street to go get breakfast then will be heading home.

I head into a small diner called Le Ventro that is always open. I walked up to the counter to order some coffee and food like always. As I reach the counter the waitress looks up from the screen and smiles warmly at me.

“Good morning Haley, the regular?” She asked as she rings up the order.

“Yes thank you.” I handed my card to her and she swipes it.

I walk over to a booth in the corner and wait till it’s done. It’s about 20 minutes and she calls me over to collect my food and coffee.

“Thank you so much have an amazing day.” I smile at her and leave to go back to my car.

Home was a apartment looking over the city. Yes it was a bit too big for one person but having a big family that stays over when they are here in America it isn’t as bad as you might think.

I got into my car and head home. It’s somewhat a 15 minute drive and soon I’m in front of the large building, 31 floors to be exact.

Parking in the valet parking space I got out and handed my keys over to him with a small thank you. I am to tired to park it but I do it most of the time.

“Good morning Doctor Haley.” I hear the receptionist say. She is a very friendly old lady.

“Good morning Mrs. Grey.” I smile up at her and head over to the elevator.

Stepping into the steel cage I press the button that holds the top number 31 and punch in my security code for penthouse.

Yes I stay in the penthouse, shocker. It takes a few minutes till I’m stepping into my home. Empty like always.

I’ve grown to love the silence because it isn’t always like that especially living in my type of life.

I’m a doctor through the day and some night and other times I’m helping my brother at night when he needs me. I made a promise to him that I will help him with cleaning up the mess so that he doesn’t have to cover his hands in blood. He might be the Don but he is my baby brother first and I will do anything for him

I’m good at what I do in the business but I keep it on the down low.

My brother Bruno D’Milio age 20 is the Don of the Italian mafia. He is very young to be taking the title and since he only got it this year I had to keep the chair warm. It took a lot to stand that role full and I couldn't anymore it hold to many bad memories that I am trying to hide and the more I was Don the harder it was to hide my demons.

So I decided to get out and be a doctor to help where I could and save lives, but don’t get me wrong my hands are full of blood and I hide it behind saving people.

After eating my food that I had to reheat. I head to my room to shower and then sleep. I’ve been up since 4 a.m. yesterday morning and do need sleep for I have a few paperwork I needed to handle for a patient of mine.