Prom King

Prom.

The time of year where everyone fusses over dresses and suits. Hairstyles and dates. Making memories of supposable the best night of your school year. Well, it would seem that everyone except one got excited over this day. Everyone expect Kageyama.

Kageyama never saw the big excitement over something like a school dance. It occurred every year at the last week of school and if he was being honest, he hated them. A gymnasium packed with sweaty, jumping kids. All shouting lyrics to songs he didn't even know as they secretly bran alcohol and drank until they weren't able to remember their actions the next day. The only acceptable reason to be sweaty in a gymnasium would be if they were playing a volleyball match. And Kageyama stood by that reasoning. Now, a lot of people would be asking why in the world would The Setter even step foot in this kind of event if he despised it so much. The answer was ever so simple; a certain orange haired boy practically begged him to go. Yes, it was Hinata that managed to convince him to go as his date, but as friends of course. At least in Hinata's eyes they were going as friends, he made that very clear from the beginning. Kageyama can still remember the giddy smile on his face as he asked him to go to the dance.... but as friends.

Nevertheless, to Kageyama this meant more than it should have. It was no secret to him that he was most definitely in love with his best friend. It was at the end of his first year of high school, when the sudden need to be around Hinata and be acknowledged by him sprouted in his heart. The setter wanted his attention, starting from small things like wanting to practice with him after school to then actually wanting him to physically touch him, for example high fives, or hugging him after a good spike (get your mind out the gutter).

That's when Kageyama knew something was wrong, he never would have wanted another person to come anywhere near him, let alone actually touch him. After a while the thought became so troubling, he had to rely on the power of the internet. It only took a matter of minutes before he realised what his symptoms meant.

Did Kageyama accept the fact he had a crush on Hinata at first? Not in a thousand years. He tried fighting his urges and turning away whenever Hinata offered any physical affection, but he just couldn't. The crave just become even hungrier, and it honestly made him more depressed than happy. So, what else could he do? The setter admitted to himself that he had a huge, fat crush and could do nothing about it. As long as no one knew, especially Hinata, he could just go about his day and admire the orangette from a distance. There was no way he was going to risk the one true friend he had made over some stupid feelings that he could deal with on his own.

So that was his situation right now. He was going to prom with his best friend, also known as his secret crush, and he just had to make it through the night without exposing himself, which honestly, he has become quite used to.

It was less than a week before prom day and he had yet to get everything ready. Kageyama tried on the different suits that were in his wardrobe but as he had guessed he had grown out of them a long time ago. Considering he worn them back when he was 14, graduation from junior school, there was little too no chance he was going to fit in them. This caused a problem. He needed to go out to buy something before it was too late.

Kageyama made his way to his desk where his phone lay and he picked it up. Unlocked it and stared at the list of contacts that he had saved. There wasn't a big option, just his sempais, some first years, family and of course Hinata. His finger hovered above the orange heads name and debated if Hinata really was the best choice to go shopping with to find a new suit. He was his date after all, so would it be a problem? Or was he supposed to not see him before prom? Wait no, that's more like weddings, prom isn't that serious. But it's better to be safe than sorry.

He continued staring at the list of names that were written down and finally deciding that his best choice at getting assistance in his dilemma would be the blonde in the same year as him, Yachi. Contrary to the first year, Kageyama managed to become better acquainted with the energetic club member. Sure, they aren't best friends, she wasn't like Hinata, she couldn't even compare to the redhead, but Yachi had a special aura around her that seemed to always help Kageyama when in need.