| 39 |

Chapter Thirty Nine

~

Monday. Was. A. Disaster.

Sometimes I wish social media didn't exist. And sometimes I wish I could still be that invisible girl that no one talked about. Because somehow, the whole school knows what happened between me and James.

And I mean everyone.

I'd get sympathetic looks in the halls, kids would tell me they're sorry for what happened, I'd get random pats on the back. I mean absolutely everyone would do things.

Now am I happy that people are mad at James? Yes. Am I happy that the truth is being told and not some rumor? Yes.

But am I happy that suddenly I have all this attention from kids I've never talked to? No. No no no no no.

It makes me so uncomfortable. Even insecure in some ways. But the positive side to all this? I think things are improving with everyone I know. Me and my friends are starting to go back to stupid, silly conversations at lunch. Will even joined us yesterday and I didn't feel to awakward. Finn feels a little better about Louis after I told him what he did for me. So does Gaten. Noah's just always been kinda chill with him. Well, except that first interaction.

But luckily that first day of the week is over. It's  Tuesday now and I'm at lunch yet again, with my friends and Will.

"And bro when I tell you I was shocked, I was shocked. I didn't even study and somehow got a 97!" Gaten smiles as he talks through a mouthful of food. He passed his physics test today in period three. Let's just say he hasnt shut up about it for a hot second.

Noah shot him a wink and Gaten flashed his eyes wide at him.

I caught it.

"Uh oh... Gaten are you being serious?" I tease and nudge his shoulder. Finn smirks at him. Gaten's smile fades a bit as he glances from me, to Finn, to Noah who had gona back to casually popping a carrot in his mouth.

"I didn't cheat! I promise!" He justifies, trying to keep a straight face. Instead a tiny smile cracks out of him again.

"Oh you saw that one folks, Gaten Matarazzo, lie number two!" Finn announces with his hands over his muth to create a megaphone. Gaten's face quickly crumpled into confusion.

"Wait what was lie number one?" He asks us all sincerely.

Finn asnwers again. "You didn't get a 97."

Gaten rolled his eyes and slouched over in defeat. "Cant I be good at lying for once?"

I chuckled in response and chewed on an apple, "I guess not." Will chuckles at him and looks down with a grin on his face.

See? Better. It's not the same stupid conversations you have with a friend. These are my best friends. The four of us continue eating our lunches and talking about school, ignoring all the shit that has happened these past few days. In fact, I feel happy for a while. Happy until I feel a little tap on my shoulder.

When I turn around, Louis is standing behind me. He has a neutral face on and I can't tell if it means good or bad. Maybe both?