Part One

The messenger was rather a ridiculous-looking fellow, with his garishly purple stockings and his fluffy hat. His apple-red cheeks and heavy breaths also caught Ella's attention, and she couldn't help but wonder why he was here as she dusted the antiques lining the fireplace.

"A message from the king and queen!" bellowed the man. Well, perhaps the word bellow wasn't the most accurate; to give a proper bellow, one has to have a deep voice. Ella smiled to herself, ducking her head so her stepsisters wouldn't see; the twosome were standing in front of the messenger in the foyer, their eyes wide and bright with eagerness.

"A message from the king and queen--how splendid," Ciela breathed, clasping her hands to her heart.

"What does it say, what does it say?" cried Anemone, jumping up and down like a little child.

The messenger cleared his throat and brandished a cream-colored parchment. Letting it unroll dramatically, he read, "Their Royal Highnesses, King Leonard and Queen Sophiana are delighted to announce the coming-of-age ball of their son, Prince Alexander Philip Duke Leonard William the III, this fortnight. All citizens are invited to attend--and eligible young ladies are highly encouraged to." He waggled his eyebrows. Ciela and Anemone giggled; Ella pretended to choke herself on a feather while none of them were looking.

"Thank you, sir," Ciela purred in breathiest voice. "We look forward to attending."

The messenger bowed, wound up his scroll, and marched out of the door, flanked by two members of the royal guard.

The minute the grand double doors had closed, Ella's stepsisters began to squeal and jump up and down.

"The prince!" screamed Anemone.

"Did you hear what that man said?" shrieked Ciela. "All the eligible young ladies are encouraged to attend, which means..."

"THE PRINCE IS PICKING A BRIDE!" Their shout shook the rafters.

Ella rolled her eyes and, sweeping her duster over the last ornament, left the room as quickly and quietly as possible. She was sick of their gushy talk, though the true reason for her discomfort was something she hardly wanted to admit, even to herself.

She wanted to go. And, if her situation were in the same place it had been a few years ago, she would be able to. But it wasn't, and there was no way on earth she could now.

Ella allowed herself a couple moments more of pity before brushing it away. She opened the back door briskly and set off for the chicken coop. There was no use for this gloominess. She couldn't dwell in the past, or she'd be hopeless. She had grown quite skilled at taking life one day at a time, and she wasn't about to let a silly ball ruin that.

A silly, wonderful, beautiful ball...

Ella paused outside the chicken coop to rap her head against the wood a couple of times. She was sick of these thoughts, but she could think of no way to dispel them.

"What an interesting pastime, clonking your head so. A new chore the old hag has put you up to, I presume?"

Ella grinned. Correction--she could think of one way to dispel her mopey thoughts.

"My stepmother is not an old hag," she said primly, lifting her forehead away from the wood but not turning around to face her friend. "She is, and I quote, a "true lady.""

"Ah, yes, now that you mention it, I do recall someone saying that once. I believe it was the true lady herself." There was a thunk as Kam leaned against the chicken coop next to her. "So. What was all that clunking really about?"

Ella leaned against the coop as well and tilted her head sideways so she could see Kam's impish grin. "Something silly."

Kam spread out his hands and huffed an errant brown curl out of his eyes. "Silly is my middle name."