Chapter 1

Normally when people hear that dreadful noise in the morning, they'd toss their poor clocks or aggressively poke their phones until the noise stops. Mal never understood why people would get mad and hurt their little morning helpers. She hardly slept anyways so her alarm wasn't used for waking up, that's what the sun was for, it was to let her know when to get up. The purplette set several during the day to keep track of everything she'd miss; mainly to remind herself to take a shower, get dressed, those kinds of things that normal people didn't need help with.

For Mal, it was a struggle to move at times. Her doctor's told her it was due to sleep deprivation, her parents want her to take sleep medication and her friends just hate it when she drives. Mal scoffed at them, minus her friends because they were her world, but she refused to take drugs and her doctors haven't diagnosed her properly. How could she know what was wrong with her and the professionals didn't? After gathering everything she'd need, Mal walked in her bathroom, before setting her clothes down on the sink counter. Mal caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror. Bags were under her eyes, her hair was a mess, and she looked exhausted. She shrugged at the usual sight then went back to her routine.

'At least I'm not dead,' she thought humorlessly while washing her face.

Finishing at the sink, Mal stripped off her night clothes and stepped in the shower. The water was freezing, for her mother's standards, but it was the perfect wake up call. After washing herself, she noticed her alarm hadn't gone off. The purplette took it as her being ahead of schedule for once and knowing she had time, Mal sat under the water waiting to hear her first alarm for the day. As she did, she replayed the events of yesterday in her mind. Her rival, a blue haired beauty that stayed on her mind, defended her yesterday. Which was a shock if anything. Mal was used to dealing with negative people and would rather save her energy ignoring them or send for the cavalry, her best friends. Uma and Jay, the best friends anyone could have, knew how little she slept so the two didn't appreciate it when others weren't too kind about her problems.

That time, they didn't have to, because that blue haired nerd came to her apparent rescue instead. If Mal remembered correctly, she was sitting at the lunch table, earbuds in and attempting to doze off while Uma and Jay went to get food. Being so close to dreamland , the last thing she wanted was for someone from the soccer team to get a reaction out of her. Sadly, the purplette was used to it and if she reacted it could've made things worse. Like always Mal opted to ignore him, at least that was the plan until the boy pulled out her earbuds. The next thing that happened became a blur, but she did remember the bluenette put the boy in his place, stating, 'the only one that can mess with her, is me so fuck off Kallib'. Since she was thinking about it, Mal did notice her rival shot her a smirk, handed back her earbuds and walked away. That was possibly the hottest thing she'd ever done and-

Mal jumped, hearing her alarm.

Her head turned slowly as she stared at her phone on the edge of the sink with betrayal.

"Thinking time's over.."

She spoke to herself while turning off the water and grabbing a towel. Mal checked the time. It was 6:30 AM and she had three hours before picking up the bluenette. Deciding to piss her off for the day, Mal shot her a text of emojis.

To: 👑
🥱🖕 6:48

Satisfied with the violence she chose, Mal leaned out of the bathroom before tossing her phone on her bed then went back to getting ready for the day.

The purplette took her time, making sure she didn't accidentally forget a sock like last week. When done, she eyed her outfit in the mirror. It was her usual black ripped jeans, paired with her worn combat boots. She chose a gray tank top with the words 'Sleep Is For The Weak' in purple galaxy writing printed across her chest and to top it off, she wore her purple and black denim jacket. Mal mainly wore it to cover her tattoo, against school policy or something of the sort. She really didn't care but also didn't want the principal to scold her for it. Again.

Now that the little energy she had was drained, the girl stood debating if she should lay back down or keep going. Eventually, the image of her lonely friends and upset rival popped in her mind. Mal grumbled to herself about doing things just to see them as she stood in front of the mirror glaring at the mess she called her hair.

'Now what to do with this,' she thought as she ran her fingers through the faded purple.

Her opinions were to either leave it or attempt to brush it. The latter terrified her so, she smoothed her hair down in a presentable way before putting on her spiked choker, bracelets and adjusting the small heart in the middle of her choker. She eyed herself once more, then smiled. At least she got the cute but badass look down. Since she had finished, Mal turned off her lights, grabbed her phone and bag before going down the stairs. She spotted a note on the fridge and sighed, ignoring it as she headed out the door.

Another alarm went off.

Mal pulled out her phone, catching the text a certain bluenette replied.

From: 👑
🙄🖕😴❔ 7:00

Ever since the incident, the bluenette began checking to see if she's slept. Sort of being nicer but still being a thorn up her ass. Still, Mal allowed a small smile to form when she replied.

To: 👑
😅🏎 💨 7:00

From: 👑
🙄🌇 7:10

Mal grimaced at the response, having sworn against the sun's rays, she felt as if it was being blasphemous to her lord and savior, the moon. She placed a hand over her heart giving a silent prayer to the sleeping giant before getting in her truck. After one last check for the time, Mal tilted her head side to side before nodding to herself. They had forty-five minutes to get to school, the bluenette lived about fifteen minutes from her which left thirty minutes to get to school? Mal scratched her head as she recounted the numbers in her head. Once she came to the conclusion that she was correct, Mal pulled out of her driveway and sped down the street.

They weren't friends by her rival's standards and yet, she couldn't wait to see her.