𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖊𝖓

"Are we sure this is safe?"

You gulped, watching Star run the ball-point needle over the lighter between her fingers, sterilizing the sharp tip. This wasn't the gift you were expecting when Paul said that there was something waiting for you in the cave.

Star hummed in affirmation, not looking up from the pile of supplies she had accumulated in her lap. When you dreamed of getting your ears pierced as a little girl, you never pictured that it would take place in a dark cave way past your curfew, surrounded by a group of near-strangers.

You wondered if this is how Michael got his piercing—back pressed into the ratty old sofa that took up a good portion of the main room. Star at his side, doing most of the work while the rest of the boys lounging lazily everywhere else. 

Speaking of Michael, they haven't said anything about him since you showed up around sunset. You were almost afraid to bring him up.

There was a radio on somewhere, but you could only hear the echoes bouncing off the cave walls. Marko and Paul were dorking around behind you, nudging each other and leaning over the back of the couch to catch glimpses at the action every so often.

David was sitting on his throne with a far-off look in his eye and Dwayne was pacing circles around the dry fountain. You figured Laddie was the one messing with the radio off where you couldn't see him.

Sometimes you wondered if Laddie was one of their siblings. Or if he was a fellow runaway, like the others were. It hurt to imagine either scenario, but you refused to consider any other.

"It won't hurt," Star said, answering the question that you hadn't asked. She noticed how your eyes lingered on the needle and smiled, brushing a lock of hair behind her ear to show off her array of glittering jewels that ran up the shell of her ear. 

Apparently, you didn't look quite convinced. She huffed and flicked the lighter on again. "Tell her, Paul."

"Didn't Paul cry?" Marko snickered, appearing over your left shoulder. He had his own set of piercings, double on each ear—silver studs.

Paul smacked him in the arm, sending him careening down onto the dusty floor. "Did not."

"Did too."

"Did not."

"Quit it," David barked. It was enough to send the room into another brief silence. There was just something about him—his energy. It was holy, almost. At the very least, you could picture him with a crown and scepter, commanding a room of generals. 

Regal—that's the word. David was effortlessly regal.

His charcoal eyes flitted over to you and you sat up straighter. "It'll only last a second," he said, voice coarse like the dirt road you walked all the way down from the ranch. His eyes remained planted on you even after Star gently gripped your chin and turned your face back to hers. 

"Ready?"

You almost nodded immediately. "Wait," you said, twisting around to grab Marko's gloved hand. In all fairness, it was the pillow you were reaching for. But you would take what you could get.

He flexed his fingers against yours and you noticed that his skin was impossibly cold beneath his faux-leather biking gloves. "Okay," you gulped, hugging your intertwined hands close to your chest.

David was right. It didn't hurt. It stung

Bad.

You bit back a yelp and squeezed Marko's hand until both your knuckles were unnaturally white. You were acutely aware that Star was now rummaging through her box of supplies again, but most of your attention was being eaten up by the boys who were now offering you soothing touches and words of encouragement.