Chapter Three

A chip on my shoulder

"So, Erick told me that when he stayed behind last night. Anthony's dad came in demanding that they have a Tuesday special or deal like TGIF or Applebee's and so last minute he does it and blows up my phone at 6 a.m.

I was pissed because I had to take my daughter to my aunt's house so she could take her to preschool." That was my best friend, Josie. There is nothing in this world I can do without her, except sharing my husband of course, but she was the cornerstone in my life.

Besides my family, she was the other person who I enjoyed hanging around with. She saved my life more times than I could count, and on this fateful day, she had everything figured out already. I was surprised how she was able to wake up at six and still manage to be sane! I just got here at nine and it felt like I was walking into a death trap.

However, I consoled myself with the fact I wasn't the only one Anthony harassed that morning. We were all in the same boat, if not, the same ocean. I went to the locker room as fast as I could and got myself changed. I could see Anthony look at me from the moment I entered the restaurant, but I didn't care. It wasn't my problem that they decided to make the day busier than normal.

As soon as my uniform was on my body, orders were thrown at me from all directions.

This was the first time something like that happened, and you could feel the tension and pressure in the room. "Where's my order," you would hear one customer complain before another adds, "it's been ten minutes already! Do your job!" I felt infuriated especially when I thought about the shopping date I had respectfully declined in the morning.

I had told my sister that I had responsibilities for the day, and I'll have to raincheck. The month was nearing the end and all I thought about was getting paid.

Noise overpowered the sound system in the restaurant. Customers yelled, chatted, laughed; doing all sorts of things as they enjoyed the free food. There were more offers than any day I worked there. Such a ridiculous offer. We couldn't attend to everyone, and while they grew impatient, more came in through the door. The signpost outside was too attractive not to be indulged.

FREE TACOS AND SPECIAL BREAKFAST MEALS!

"Nicole!" bellowed Anthony as I walked right past him.

Pretending not to hear Anthony call for me, I delivered my sandwich order, and headed to the tables by the door; get new orders at least. Stealing glances periodically, Anthony's eyes focused on me like an eagle to its prey. My plate is already full.

"This is ridiculous of him to do such a thing! FREE TACOS and SPECIAL BREAKFAST MEALS? That was the worst marketing strategy I had ever come across, and I kept wondering if there were any profits, they were getting from that.

The business seemed like it was gasping for air and with such offers, I doubted if it would jumpstart the restaurant, especially with the 30% off on any breakfast meal. Either way, it wasn't my problem to concern myself with, I had orders to attend to.

Then, I got a minute, and I walked to Josie who had trauma written all over her face.

"What's up girl? When did you get here? You are scaring the customers with that face." I said while I looked at her with a lot of concern.

Clearly, something was eating her mind, and like a good friend I had to find time for her too.

"I think I forgot to pack Leah some diapers! I swear to you, this man is going to kill me one day, or I will kill him!" said Josie with a lot of pain. She loved her daughter so much and she was there because of her.

We both didn't love our jobs, but we had to because that was the only source of income. I felt her pain and totally understood her position.

"I would burn him alive for you sis! He's just intolerable to this point." I added while looking at my small order pad. "I swear I am worn out and it's just been two hours. Jesus!"

"Don't get me started honey, I told you he started yelling around six. I had to wake up, compose myself, wake my baby beside the fact it was chilly today."

"I almost called Anthony to tell him to go fuck himself with his job. But I saw Leah and knew I had to do what was best for the both of us. Being a parent is so hard! Thank God you still have your life." Josie scoffed.

"What life? Is this what you call life? We are slaves to this fat man and his greed."

Then I noticed Anthony's father looking in our direction. I knew he would burst with anger, and I quickly notified Josie who started walking in the opposite direction from where I was. We broke our small reunion.

Strangely, I had some energy left in me after the small talk but couldn't stop thinking about how strained Josie was. With the baby and yelling, not a good combination.

Approaching the door, two people stormed in and it was the scent of the cologne that spooked my senses. It can't be. Brawling with my desire to look who wore the same perfume, I took a turn in the opposite direction; to the table with the good-looking men. I recalled they entered a while ago and no one had walked to their table. At the back of my mind, I rejected the possibility that it could be him. Not today, Please, God! And what was he doing here anyway? I thought he had class and free food wasn't his thing.

With him, Tracy flaunted her boyfriend around as if he was the best man had to offer. Yuck! I wouldn't even.