fifteen: "can i kiss you"

"Did you all enjoy that?"

I looked up from the bench and over at Coach who had just entered the locker room.

Everyone answered with some sort of "Yeah!" as we all stood or sat around, talking about the last two periods of the game.

Coach got a stern look on his face. "So did they. Because they're still three points up and we're one period away from defeat."

This made the team all find somewhere to sit and listen. Dean scooted next to me with Julie on my other side.

Jesse though stayed standing. "If we can't beat them we might as well keep our pride."

A few people nodded but Coach just sighed and shook his head. "Jesse, that's not pride. Sure, when Dwayne roped that big oaf, part of me cheered. But guys, I've been there. I know how you feel." He began walking around the room and looking at each of us. "I wanted to cream that jerk that busted my knee when I played in the minors. And I really, really wanted to go after Stansson for that cheap shot. But you know what? My knee will heal. And if I become someone I'm not...if I sink to their level...well the I lost more than my knee. You understand?"

We all looked at one another and nodded.

Coach continued. "We're not goons. We're not bullies. No matter what people say or do, we have to be ourselves." He looked up and pointed at Dean. "You. Who are you?"

"Dean Portman."

"From where?"

"Chicago, Illinois."

I smiled as Dean sat down and Coach turned over to me. "You."

"Bexley Callahan," I stated proudly as I got to my feet.

"From where?"

"From Chicago, Illinois." Dean pumped his fist in the air as I repeated our city and state.

He then turned and pointed at someone else. "Who are you?"

"Adam Banks. Edina, Minnesota."

And before long, the entire team was standing, having announced their name and where they were from.

"We're team USA, gathered from all across America. And we're gonna stick together, know why?"

From behind Coach, Hans stepped forward. "Because we are ducks. And ducks fly together."

"That's right Hans. And just when you think they're about to break apart?"

"Ducks fly together!" We all shouted.

Ms. McKay smiled and put her arm around Coach. "And when the wind blows hard and the sky is black?

"Ducks fly together!"

Dwayne threw his arm over Goldberg and Averman's shoulders and proudly asked, "When the roosters are crowing and the cows are spinning circles in the pasture?"

We all looked at the Texan, confused about what that meant.

"Um, okay. Ducks fly together!"

"And when everyone says it can't be done. Ducks fly together." Coach looked at all of us with a proud look on his face. I hadn't seen him so happy since I had first met him back on that rink in Minnesota a few weeks ago. In that short amount of time, we had all become a real team. I glanced around the room at all of my smiling teammates. I was going to miss this.

Hans' voice snapped me out of my thoughts.  "Now, new Ducks and old Ducks must unite under a new banner. And I thought perhaps something like this." He walked over to a stack of three boxes that were pushed against the wall.