The news

Sky was cloudy not letting any sun rays through. Usual weather in London.
You were sitting on grass in the garden with your little daughter on your lap, slowly counting flowers she gave you. A strand of her golden-brown hair fell out of ponytail and her face showed a complete focused emotion. Taking that one strand and placing it right behind her ear she looked up at you.

- Mummy, are you sad?

Her dolly voice made you stop staring at nothing. You shaked your head.

- No honey, mummy is not sad. It's fine, okay?

Pulling her closer to your chest and hugging tighter a wave of sadness overwhelmed you. Feeling exhausted and not knowing what you were going to do, you finally looked down at that little wonder that was looking at you with her eyes showing an unbridled admiration.

You know, kids love their parents without any reason, they just do. Every word, every movement of yours affects them somehow, making them want to be like you. And maybe that's why you didn't want Nia to see her dad ever again.

She was the only thing which was left after him. You kissed her small forehead and started to stroke her back up and down, until you felt a phone buzzing in the pocket of jeans. Sighing, you pulled the device out to make it silent, but then you see a message which appeared on your lock screen. It was not a one message actually, this human texted you at least 70 times already.

Tom

"Y/n can we talk please"

"Just give me one minute
and you won't regret it"

How funny those words sound now.

You read those sentences placing the phone on the ground and then raised your hands up to let Nia turn around and lay down on her back, placing her occiput on your knees. After reading the contact's name your daughter was super pumped and started jerking her legs in the air

- Is that dada?

She looked at you with her deep honey-brown eyes. Just like he had. Gosh, she reminded you about him so much.
You sighed again.

- Oh honey.. Yes. Yes, it is your dad.

Eyes of your daughter lighted up when you confirmed her assumption. She started jumping on your knees, making you chuckle a bit in relief.

- How did you meet dada?

She asked curiously all of the sudden.

Not expecting such question you wided your eyes a bit and after taking a minute answered:

- Well it's a long story..

- Mama please I wanna know it so badly!

She said making puppy eyes and clenching her palms together.

Of course mother couldn't tell her child all the details and how it all happened. Nia was not prepared for the truth and to be honest you didn't want to deep into it again, thinking about every single moment you spent together with Tom.
Sometimes memories hurt more than the reality.
But I'm going to tell a true story which happened to Y/n.
Let the story start.

Five years before

It was a warm evening. Time was running slowly but already had come to around the bed-time.
An old woman with grey short and a bit curly hair was sitting near a fire place in a big bright-red armchair which kinda looked like a small throne. She fixed big glasses with golden rim on her nose, sliding a page of a thick book with fairytales in it. Two kids, a little girl of age 6 that was hugging a teddy bear, and a boy who looked a bit older than his sister next to him was sitting on the carpet close to their grandma, listening to her carefully. They were your cousins. Unfortunately their mum (the sister of your mother) died when those two were little babies, so they were living in your house.