Chapter 10

love-struck;
CHAPTER TEN.
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

HOW THE hell- did Rukawa go from zero to twenty-seven points? This question would never be answered. As Sakuragi's jump shot missed at the last three seconds of the game, team A winning with 68 points, and team B losing with 62 points. Even though the points are not that ahead, Rukawa's team manage to have the momentum until the very last minute.

Cheers spread across the whole gym, it was expected some say. And some contradicted- saying that team B could do it if they only passed the ball more to Mitsui instead of Sakuragi. Because ever since Rukawa starts to score a lot, Mitsui seems to lost his momentum within himself, leading to his teammates passing the ball to Sakuragi.

"So, you mean we compete for this to win a coupon?" Maki frustratedly sighed.

"Don't be so ungrateful-!" Kiyota fired back at his captain. "And coupons! For all the food stalls and cafes inside the festival! Treat me and we can still enjoy the rest of the day!" He grinned.

"No thanks, I'd rather treat myself." He scoffed.

Mitsui made his way towards his junior tapping his shoulder. "What a very heroic indeed," he sighs. "Your points were so last minute! How dare you pretend that you're zoning out!"

"He did, Hisashi. Now stop being so bitter," Akagi behind him contradicted.

Rukawa rolled his eyes at his senior. "At least, I have twenty-seven points?" Rukawa asked, half-teasing and bragging. The corner of his eyes flew to the (h/c) haired girl, who's talking to Sendoh on the bench. With Kaito still behind her back, who didn't seem amused, most likely by hearing the two's conversation.

What the hell are they talking about? He asked in the back of his mind. Come to think of it- he all of a sudden realized, that she never really denied what Sendoh said awhile ago. So, it was true? Now that he might just confirm it with one glance, he's curious. Was it one-sided?

He then felt someone tapped his back again. It was none other than his stubborn senior.

"You have to make your way to get her." He whispered. "It seems like Kaito Ryusei's plans are not backing down after all that happened. He seems not amuse and rather agitated by the fact that she considers us, players."

Rukawa has his forehead inwardly creasing.

"Why the hell would you use me then? Can't you just trust her?"

"What do you mean!? I thought you're following the plan! She even calls you by your first name awhile ago, I thought you're finally getting it with her." Mitsui half-yelled and half-whispered beside him. Irritated by his upperclassman, he removed himself from the crowd, and went to the locker room to change, in which he found Shoyo's captain.

It was odd- he can always remember himself furrowing his eyebrows with all of these basketball players surround her. Rukawa can't tell what does he exactly feel about it. He never considered Mitsui's plan- although he admitted that he'd do anything for the club to last long. And he didn't exactly believe that this 'Kaito' they were talking about is powerful.

"You seem like in a lost thought." A voice spoke breaking the silent atmosphere inside the locker room.

Rukawa gazed at Fujima, scowling while changing into his black shirt. "None of your business." He replied making Fujima chuckled in unison.

"Is it about my cousin?" Fujima asked him once again.

Cousin. That's right- Fujima is her cousin. Maki was her childhood friend, Hanagata studies with her. Nobunaga was someone irrelevant. And Sendoh- someone she used to like before.

"You guys are so annoying." He held out a glare, grabbing his duffle bag away before going out of the locker room.

Fujima could only chuckle. He fixed himself including his things. Whispering to himself a few words.

"It's definitely about her." He smiled, mind drifting to another thought after awhile. Though- Fujima has to still ask her too, about what Sendoh said, and how she seemingly admits it.

Meanwhile, in her eyes. She caught the rookie getting out of the gym. With his school pants, and a black plain t-shirt tucked into his pants, a silver belt wrapped around his torso. A duffle bag in his shoulders, his hair a mess and all. He didn't spare a glance, instead, he looks so determined to get out of there immediately.

She sighed. "Now I feel like I'm obligated to do things." She whispered to herself.

"He kept on glaring at me all the time, even when I'm passing the ball to him." Sendoh has a hand on his stomach cackling. "He hated my guts," he added making her chuckle.

"Stop listening to my thoughts, will you?" She rolled her eyes at him.

Sendoh chuckled, his elbow resting on the top of her head. "It's not thoughts if they were spoken aloud." He said in unison, teasing her.

It's been sometime before the two of them realize that they were better off friends. Both of them were sure- that everything is going to be fine. Everything would be fine. They're alright. Almost like- a perfect match. There's assurance. Consistency. But they still ended it. What did really happened? Maybe that's always one of those questions in their minds. Maybe they can ignore the fact about their feelings and all- but at the end of the day, one still asks. Where did they go wrong?

Middle school. It was just a middle school love, an infatuation? Ideals? Maybe. But the moment her eyes were lost wandering at his dark blue eyes, Sendoh has realized it all.

Maybe from the start- asking for more is the main reason why it all went wrong.

"What are you waiting for?" He whispered behind her. "Get out of here now and follow him-" he pauses and trailed while looking for Kaito. "Before he follows you again." He chuckled.

She looked back and face him, staring soulfully into his eyes. The side of her lips rose.

She needs to stop looking at him like that, or he'll just take her away.

"Thanks." That was all she said before tip-toeing and tapping his cheek before she went out of the gym. A hand made its way to the cheek she tapped awhile ago.

His senior behind him, the captain himself spoken. "Stop looking so love-struck." It was Uozumi, tapping his shoulders.

Sendoh laughs. "Who's looking so love-struck? What are you talking about captain?"

"No use denying it." That was all Uozumi said.

The rest of the foundation day continued. The game's winners, spending most of their time visiting the food stalls that made them save a lot of money by using all the coupons. Hanagata found it worth it, going with his captain, Fujima treating him. Sendoh and Uozumi did the same. And Maki has no choice but to deal with Kiyota since he never really leave him alone.

It was a good idea to have that match before the national tournament started. Unaware of the happenings in the basketball club lately, Kaito was unaware that they had successfully made it to the national tournament. While the rest- are enjoying the foundation day. She finally had her free time, only to found herself running upstairs towards the rooftop of the first-year wing. Where he usually slack off.

While sleeping peacefully on the rooftop, using his duffle bag as his own pillow. He heard a few footsteps, followed by the rooftop's door creaking and opening. Nonetheless, he stayed like that. More bothered by the fact that lately, he's sleep-deprived, and he is exhausted from today's happenings.

While his mind is drifting to his safe haven, she finally entered, and step inside the rooftop. Only proving her thoughts right, that he's on the rooftop having his 'happy time'.