00| 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑷𝒂𝒔𝒕 𝑹𝒆𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒏𝒔

March 4, 2028
Kaitlyn's POV

I wake up to the sound of my alarm blaring on the bedside table.
The phone lights up to show it's 5 AM.
As dreadful as getting up this early is, I need to head back home now or I won't get there in time for the teacher interviews today. And if I miss the interviews, Alaric will have my head on a silver platter for sure.

As I get ready, there's this unsettling feeling at the bottom of my stomach. If I knew any better, I'd say something bad is headed this way but I decide to brush it off, telling myself it's merely because I haven't been getting enough sleep on this 5 day trip I took for the recruitment of these new kids that wanted to join The School but weren't able enough to travel to Mystic Falls by themselves.

By the time I check out of the motel, it's already 5:30 AM. I get a coffee and snacks and make sure I've got enough petrol for the 4 hour drive ahead of me.

༆☼︎☾︎ꨄ︎☽︎☼︎༆

It's 8:30 AM when I decide to stop by a diner and get some form of proper food into my churning stomach. After I've placed my order, I pull out my phone and send a quick text to Caroline to see if she has any updates.
Caroline joined Bonnie and Enzo on their trip to Paris, where they found a lead on a coven that might be able to help in some way with the twins' merge situation.

The twins. My baby girls. I still remember the first day I held them in my arms like it was just yesterday. Yet here we are, time really flew by because the twins' 16th birthday is fast approaching. Within the blink of an eye, they'll be 22 and have to face their Coven's merge ritual. Alaric and me have been working day and night, along with the help of Caroline,Bonnie,Enzo and even Kol, in order to find a solution to the problem before we even have to break the news to the twins. I cannot and will not imagine a life where I have to let my babies go through this merge, I cannot fail them this way. I swore to protect them till my last breath and I intend to keep my promise.

I'm snapped out of my thoughts when the waitress brings me my bacon and eggs, along with my second cup of coffee of the day. As I then check the texts, Caroline informs that the coven couldn't help and I feel my heart sink to my stomach, once again.

 As I then check the texts, Caroline informs that the coven couldn't help and I feel my heart sink to my stomach, once again

Sad but not surprised, I think to myself. For the last 2 years, it has been the same. Any lead we get ends up being of no help. No one seems to have a solution to our problem but we refuse to give up. They're just kids. They don't deserve this. I won't let my kids go through this.

My kids. My thoughts then drift to Ryan. I haven't heard from him ever since I left for the trip. I quickly send a text to our family groupchat as I pay for the food and transfer the coffee from the cup and into my thermos.

 I quickly send a text to our family groupchat as I pay for the food and transfer the coffee from the cup and into my thermos