02| 𝑬𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝑯𝒂𝒔 𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒅

March 6, 2028
Kaitlyn's POV

I wake up, just like every other day, to the sound of my alarm blaring. My phone lights up on the nightstand to show it's 8AM already. The date? March 6th, 2028. Monday.
I barely got any sleep last night, twisting and turning, feeling sick to the stomach with nervousness for the inevitable that awaits me today.

Sixteen years. It's been sixteen years since I've last heard or seen them, sixteen years since Him. I know I was very confident and carefree yesterday when I told Kol I'm not worried or scared about this but I was lying and I think he knew that too.
Reluctantly, I get out of bed and get ready for the day. It happens to be the first day of this school session today, meaning I have to make this big, Headmistress speech to the students and teachers. As of now, I have no material prepared because last night I was too busy very possible scenario of what today might look like, to even get to writing the speech. Guess I'll just have to wing it.

With that thought, I walk downstairs to greet the family. I see Ric and Ryan in the kitchen as I walk in.
"Excited for the first day?" Ric asks.
Ryan rolls his eyes, "oh please, Ric, there's nothing to be excited about. Even if school was out, I got dragged to school all summer either by mom or the other two psychopaths that live here with us," he answers.
"Hey, I just wanted to spend some time with my son. Is that a crime now?" I reply to him and I get coffee in my thermos.
"No but there's other places to hang out in. even staying home would've been better. Don't see why we had to spend mother-son at school, with your nose buried in paperwork," he answers again, "anyways, I'm off for my run. I'll meet you guys at school." He kisses my cheek, grabs him school bag and rushes out the door.

After I'm done getting my coffee, I turn to Ric to see he's already looking at me. I give him a half-hearted smile and he reciprocates it.
"Nervous?" he asks while sipping on his own coffee.
"Not really. Well I don't know. There's definitely something different but I wouldn't exactly call it nervousness. It's more of a fear. I have no idea how today might turn out. There's endless possibilities," I shrug.
"It's okay. I'll be by your side the entire time and Kol is going to be there too. You've got nothing to be worried about," he says as he walks to the sink and places his coffee cup there.
"Yeah I guess you're right."
"I always am," he answers with a playful wink.
I roll my eyes at him, "I think I just visibly saw your head grow bigger," I reply with a teasing tone.
"Yeah yeah, whatever. You ready to go?"
I let out a sigh, "as ready as I'll ever be," I say as we both walk out the door and get into Ric's car, headed towards the School.

༆☼︎☾︎ꨄ︎☽︎☼︎༆
About 15 minutes later, we reach the School and it's already bustling with students and teachers alike. As we walk out the car and head towards the entrance, I check to see a 'Good Morning' text from Lizzie saying she and Josie left for school at 7 this morning, as the Talent Show is tomorrow. Josie has this secret performance planned out that she has been rehearsing for, for the longest time but she won't tell anyone what it is. Lizzie, on the other hand, took up the responsibilities to make sure all things run smoothly, from decoration to guest list and what not. It's safe to say Lizzie is like a mini-Caroline ever since the kids spent a few months with Caroline after the entire Hellfire thing.

As we walk into the school, we are greeted murmurs of 'Good Mornings' from the students and teachers we pass down the hallway. I pull out my phone's notes app to not down some pointers for the speech when I see a text from Kol saying they're headed our way and will be here soon. Suddenly, all the nervousness that I was pushing aside comes rushing back. My hands go cold and I start to feel my knees go weak. It's pathetic to think even after all this years, the Mikaelsons have such an impact on me. He has such an impact on me.

"Hey, you sure you're up for this? You look pale," Ric asks me, clearly concerned.
I turn to him and give him a sad smile, "yeah I'll be fine. No backing out now. Kol says they'll be here soon."
As if on cue, I see Kol, Davina, Freya and another brunette walk in and head towards us. I'm guessing the brunette is Hope, then.