·1·

My foot clashed down onto the gray pavement, and I pushed off of the hard ground. My arms rhythmically moved back and forth as beads of sweat ran down the my temples.

A thundering sound echoed from above, forcing me to slow down my pace as I peered up at the partly cloudy sky. A cool breeze slashed across my face as I felt a couple wet spots on my forehead.

I peeled my eyes off the sky and glanced straight forward again. Men and women paraded down the streets, dressed in black slacks or skirts and formal blouses and shirts, rushing to escape the sky's threatening tears.

I gripped the sweaty handle of my black briefcase tightly with my left hand and sped down the street, avoiding the surprised people that quickly moved around to let me through. I looked down at the cheap silver watch that clung around my tan wrist. 7:58.

No no no. Not on the first day.

Suddenly, I felt my head throb in pain as it collided with an oddly muscular surface, sending me stumbling backwards a few steps. My left hand felt empty as the smooth leather disappeared.

I shot open my tightly clenched eyes and was met with a slightly taller male, staring at me in shock. His wavy brunette hair hung over his forehead until another chilly breeze ran through it, making it fly back to reveal his flawless forehead and raised eyebrows. His wide chocolate brown eyes pierced into mine, and his lips were slightly parted, completing the surprised expression.

I shook my head and briskly bent down to pick up my briefcase.

"Sorry!" I apologized.

The male continued staring at me, before pulling the edges of his lips into a small smile. He sipped his coffee from the little brown reusable cup, which was somehow still intact.

The bustling street suddenly quieted down as a tender laugh filled up the area, sending a warm surge up my spine despite the chilly air and wet raindrops. My eyes grew wide, and I quickly furrowed my brows at the ludicrous reaction.

"Look I'm sorry for running into you, but could you please move out of the way and sip your coffee somewhere else?"

My tone sounded harsher than I had intended it to, but at this point, my only focus resided in getting to work on time. My eyes darted down to my wrist, and I realized that this meaningless encounter had wasted 5 minutes of my time, officially making me late for work.

The male seemed unaffected by my words, and I impatiently tapped my foot as he once again sipped his coffee.

"It's okay but slow dow a bit. Wouldn't wanna ruin my pretty face, would you?"

I felt my cheeks warm up a bit as my eyes ran over the male's features again. He undoubtedly worked out, judging by the slight muscle bulging from his biceps and the light pain still in my head. But his narcissistic attitude had already disgusted me. Not wanting to spend anymore time chatting, I decided to reply with a straightforward response.

"Y-Yeah, sorry again."

With that, I ran down the street and turned the corner, not daring to look back at the stranger as I focused on the steady sound of my shiny black shoes contacting the wet concrete.

***

"You're late."

I ran my hand through my wet black hair, attempting to straighten out the untidy mess the rain created. I cleared my throat and pushed back my broad shoulders.

"Sorry, sir. I wasn't expecting it to rain," I firmly stated in a polite tone.

"Being late on the first day doesn't make a good impression Iwaizumi. It's okay this time, but please be prepared in the future."

I nodded. "Yes, sir."

He gestured for me to leave and returned to jotting down short notes on various papers scattered across his impeccably white desk.

I pushed open the transparent glass door and turned around the right corner, heading to the little empty black desk down the side. I set down the black briefcase and slumped into the gray spinning chair. I placed my face in my hands and rubbed my eyes with my fingers.

"Tough morning?"

I perked up at the familiar voice and noticed a tall ravenette with his hair sticking up.

"Yeah, and right on the first day." I spun around in my chair and stuck my legs under the table.

"Well at least Suzuki-san didn't yell at you like he did at me," Kindaichi laughed.

I lightly chuckled. "Yeah I guess so."

I was in fact extremely grateful for Kindaichi, since he put in a good word for me with Suzuki Hayato, owner of an extremely famous publishing company. I had been jumping around with multiple part time jobs to pay for basic necessities until Kindaichi said he would help me land the new opening in the software development of the company.

I quit most of my jobs except for the one at the local cafe. I loved the owner of the area, and the peaceful atmosphere and wonderful customers always grounded me.

"I guess I'll leave you to it then," Kindaichi said.

I nodded, and he walked off towards his own table at the far end of the room.

I reached into my briefcase and felt the cold surface of my laptop. But as I gripped it to pull it out, a vibration strummed from my right pocket, and the conventional iPhone ringtone sounded through the atmosphere.

I dug into my pocket and pulled out my phone. An unknown number flashed across the screen as the red decline and green answer buttons hovered at the bottom, waiting for me to choose one.

I sighed as I tapped on the bright green icon and held the black phone up to my ear. I waited for the person on the other side to initiate the conversation, wondering whether they were a scam caller.

"Hello?" the voice said.

My eyes shot wide, and I nearly dropped my phone as I registered the familiar voice that sounded from the other side. The unforgettable soft voice sent tingles through me as I realized who it was.

The stranger from earlier.

I know it's a bit boring, but I hope that it gets better as I continue the story.

Thanks for reading, and please consider voting if you liked it!

Stay tuned and stay safe! <3

Words: 1077