Betrayed

Rama buried his face in his hands. 

"I should have never listened to her, Lakshmana did she say anything before you left her alone. He looked down at the grass.

"No anna, I left by myself".

Rama walked over to him and tilted his head upward so he looked me in the eye. "Do you promise". Rama said his eyes desperate for the answer.

"I promi"- but he couldn't finish it.

"I am so sorry, I don't know what I did".

Rama looked concerned now. "What do you mean"?

She, she said I was waiting for you to be gone because I was in love with her and Bharathan and Shatrughan were in on it as well". "But I'm sure she didn't mean it". 

Rama's heart hurt with pain at hearing what she had said. How dare she doubt his brothers.

Lakshmana was so devoted to them. Praised their names together. Saying that they were always meant to be. Her words were painful to his brother he could tell. Rama thought his sweet loving wife could never say such things but instead the words that escaped her mouth cut deep like a thousand knives stabbing his heart at once. She had doubted his brothers. They all were so kind to her treated her like the sister they never had. And she never payed them back.

Lakshmana spoke again.

"And so I left to prove to her and when I came back she was gone".

Rama didn't want to think it but he couldn't stop his mind to piece  all the evidence together in all the wrong ways.

What if she had blamed Lakshmana knowing that he would leave so she could run away.

What if she thought he wasn't good enough. His heart sank. He leaned in to the nearest tree.

His mother had exiled him and now his wife had run away. 

"Lakshmana, why don't you go too,I don't deserve anyone, I couldn't even get her to stay". 

No anna, no matter what you say I will be by your side. And that I can Promise.

Rama hugged Lakshmana. I don't know what I did to get a brother like you.