Contemplate (Undetaker story)

In her bed she laid, waiting for death to arrive. Life will be leaving her at moment's notice. Of all struggles she have faced, this one was her loss. Nevertheless, she wholeheartedly accepted her fate.

In that same time, a bespectacled man was nonchalantly looking for someone and he seemed out of the ordinary. He wore a typical suit and tie and in his hand was a scythe that indicated he was a shinigami. It was surprising that no one noticed him jumping from roof to roof. When he thought he found his target, he went inside the house through a window.

And their lay the maiden.

She noticed something moved out of the corner of her eye. She slightly shifted her head towards that something. That something was a man. She couldn't utter a word and gave the man a queery look instead.

"Only ten minutes away and it's time.", he stated. He doubted he heard her.

Killing some time, the shinigami looked around the room he's in; nothing worth the attention. He looked at his watch and only five minutes have passed. Wanting the work to be done, he made a quick assessment of whether to do it now or wait a bit longer. He waited.

He stood beside the bed and stared at the maiden. He took out a black notebook and read aloud.

"Maria Weger.
Born January 18, 1818.
Died August 9, 1848, 4:11 pm.
Cause of death: complication of multiple organs."

"Ahh two minutes remaining."

The maiden just stared at him through half lidded eyes, failed to discern his words. He examined her face stoically. She seemed in pain yet her expression was calm. Relieved to be exact. Maybe because it was almost time for her to rest peacefully.

"Time to reap."

He leaned a bit closer to the maiden and whispered,

"I don't often say this but... farewell."

To his surprise, the maiden smiled at him for one last time and mouthed him 'thank you'. It confused the shinigami but continued to do his job. He slashed his scythe unto her and came out what looked like film strips.

They call it cinematic records.

To his curiosity, he watched the record.

She was only sixteen when she migrated in England. She had a job at a pub and their she met a man whom she fell in love with. They had dated for years and ended up married. She got pregnant despite her poor condition and it was pure bliss for them both. But it all ended too soon.

As months went by her health was deteriorating that had her miscarriaged. In spite of it all, her husband never left. He worked by day and took care of her wife by night. Until one night, he had an accident and died on the spot.

Four months after her husband's death, she was left alone but fighting. She knew her husband wanted her to fight and strive to live... and be happy. Occasionally, someone would help her keep the house intact and bring her food. But these last few days, she was reaching her body's limit. She ended up laying in bed all day, drinking water to ease her hunger.

"A man charged into my room. I was puzzled, yes, but I didnt dare questioned as to why was he here or what was his business with me. I didn't get mad. In fact, it made me quite happy somehow since I was alone these past few days. My loneliness receded a little when he came though from out of nowhere. It didn't matter anymore who or what he was, I'm just really glad to be with someone until my last breath."

That was the end of her cinematic record. The shinigami was quiet for a moment before stamping her file with "COMPLETED".

"To encounter such beings makes my work interesting all the while."

The shinigami left the house and went back to his place where he came from.

"That kind of ending deserves a continuation. I wonder.."