Where it Starts

Onyx' birthday is tomorrow. His mother decided to invite her work friends and their children for Onyx to make friends.

"Why, Mom!"

"Because! It will be great for you to make new friends!"

"Ughhh! Alright!" Onyx exclaims in disgust.

The next morning, Onyx' mother walks in to his room to wake him up.

"Onyx! Wake up birthday boy!"

"Uhhhhh" He says, stretching. He yawns and rubs his eyes.

"Get up! Get dressed! Come on! The guests will be here in 45 minutes!"

"Ok. I'll be downstairs in 10."

"Thank you." She says, walking away. Onyx gets dressed and runs to the bathroom to brush his teeth and brush his hair. He heads downstairs to see the living room completely decorated and presents on the table.

"Mom, what's all this?" He states, confused.

"It's your presents!"

"You didn't have too do all this. We barely had money for groceries."

"Honey, don't worry about that." She says.

"But Mom-" He gets cut off by the doorbell. His mother walks over to get the door.

"Hey, Becky! Come on in!" His mother says. It's one of  her work friends.

"Hey, Jessie! I hope you don't mind, I brought my daughter, Ivy. I figured it would be great for her to get out and make some new friends."

"That's great! Hello, Ivy! This is Onyx!" His mother exclaims.

"Hi, Ivy. I'm Onyx" He says to the girl.

"Hi Onyx" The strange girl says.

"She's very shy, I apologize." Becky says.

"Oh no, Onyx is usually shy too! Why don't you two go outside and play! Go have fun!"

"Ok, Mom." He walks towards the back door with Ivy following him. As they get outside, Ivy finally talks.

"Are you guys like rich or something?"

"No, definitely not." He walks towards the swings and takes a seat. Ivy joins him. After about 20 minutes of chit-chatting, his mother comes outside.

"Pizzas here! Come in!"

"Ok." They head inside and take seats at the dinner table. They eat take a slice and start eating.

"How's the pizza?"

"Good." Ivy says. After 15 minutes of eating pizza, his mom gets up and heads to the kitchen. She comes back with a cake and sets in on the table. "Happy Birthday Onyx!" the cake says. She grabs a cutter and starts cutting the cake. She puts a slice on each plate.

"Dig in!" She says with a smile on her face.

"Yum!" Everyone says. A little while later, Ivy and Onyx get up and head to the living room. Onyx turns on the tv and grabs two controllers. He hands one to Ivy. "Are you good at Minecraft?"

"Well yeah, duh." She says, flustered. They get to building. 30 minutes later, they're both done their builds.

"Wow, you're good!" He says.

"Thanks haha. Yours is really good too!"

"Ivy! It's time to head home! We gotta go!" Ivy's mom yells.

"Oh, I gotta go." She says, sadly.

"Oh, darn. What's your phone number? Maybe we could hang out sometime?"

"Yeah! That sounds great." She gives him her phone number and heads out with her mom. "Bye, Onyx!"

"Bye, Ivy!"

"She seemed nice! How was it? Did you have fun?" His mom says.

"Yea! She's really kind. She gave me her phone number so we can hang out sometime again."

"Well that's great!"

"Yeah, it is." Later that day, he messages her.

Ivy

Hey Ivy!

Hey! How are
you?  

Good. How about you?

Im good haha.

A few hours after that, Onyx gets ready for bed.

"Onyx, honey! You have school tomorrow! Get ready for bed!"

"Ok, Mom." He heads upstairs to the bathroom and brushes his teeth. He heads back downstairs to say goodnight to his mom.

"Goodnight, Mom. Love you."

"I love you too, honey. Hope you had fun today." He gives her the biggest hug and heads back upstairs. He gets to his room, shuts the door, and turns out the light. He gets into bed and dozes off.