Chapter 1: Prelude

Ten women sat in a circle as the discussion between them declined from intriguing to devastating. Long ago this particular group of warriors were at the top of their game and had inspired fear and reverence in even the strongest but in just two years' time, all of that changed for the worse. It was a torment straight from the grave, one that they feared was inescapable.

"Death would be a luxury compared to what we have now."

"You said it, sister."

The team consisted of women differing in status and rank, from all corners of the globe. Each sat in a slouched position. There were three American women, two from Europe, three Asian, two from Africa, and one Middle Eastern woman in the center of the circle.

"For years we were at the top. Men cowered and hid at night. Our hunts always yielded results and we were never forced to flee. Now, look at us?"

"Look at you," one of the American women chimed in, turning her observant gaze towards the middle eastern member of The Team. "Weren't you one of the top warriors in Iraq for years? Now when I listen to the news or turn on the TV, the only thing I hear about related to the middle east, is the steady uprising of The Serpent army. Even Israel is being threatened by it." 

"Yeah, what's the sitch, Nadia?  Have you managed to find more recruits or claim any additional territory?" 

Nadia, The tan-colored Iraqy, dressed in modest attire. She wore all black robes and being that she was in the company of all women, felt comfortable without her veil. She emptiness inside; greater than anything she experienced in years.  She had spent years perfecting her abilities, training every day in the hopes that she would save not only her country but all of the middle east as well. It was only now that she realized that such a daunting task would be nearly impossible to accomplish. 

"NO. We haven't made any progress. None whatsoever. With every passing day, The Serpent's armies continue to increase. We keep getting pushed back,  so much so that we have to organize all of our meetings at night when no one suspects a thing. It's depressing really." 

"Don't you get any funding?" Asked one of the European girls. 

Nadia shook her head. "Not nearly enough. We've barely been able to make ends meet. Few weapons and hardly any supplies. It's been that way ever since the loss of Queen Valeria." 

"Valeria Widmore. Now that was a woman."

"More than a woman. A revolutionary" added Nadia. "Her vision was unprecedented. One that would have united all of us. She was one who believed that every woman should be the architect of her own destiny. Under her leadership, we would have been able to round up all the rapists, the scumbags, the pedophiles, the men who defied us. They would all be brought to justice." 

"Yes and now look at us. A hollow shell. Fractured beyond repair," A girl muttered, with a disappointing sigh. 

"But there is still hope," Nadia said, her eyes glistening. "That's why we are here. There is still hope to make this rebellion ours. If we put our heads together, we might just be able to come up with a solution to all of our problems." 

"I think that sounds like more brainpower than what you are able to generate," Said the voice of an intruder who had barged in on the meeting uninvited.  

Nadia nearly jumped from her seat and the rest of the team followed suit. She turned around to find that their team had been interrupted by a most unlikely guest. For a moment they were alarmed. 

"ANASTASIA!" 

The women all exclaimed in unison. She was the last person that any of them expected to barge in on their meeting although in hindsight they would be relieved and even pleased to be in the company of a woman of such prestige. The woman that stood in front of the group was one that any of them would recognize anywhere. She was a long red-haired beauty with a slim build and mischievous sparkling eyes.