Chapter 11

Once Isobelle was discharged, she returned to the palace with her brother

Although she was still in some physical pain, the grief she felt at the loss of her brother was greater than any other pain.

Her mother forced her to spend most of the day in her room, more specifically in bed. The queen did not want to risk that her daughter might overexert herself and worsen her condition.

Wilhelm passed by her side most of the time, the two of them trying to encourage each other, trying to remember all the good things about their brother, while their parents were busy planning the funeral.

Isobelle had spoken to Frederic on the phone, and just hearing his comforting voice had made her feel better.

Her friends had also called, concerned about her condition and giving her their heartfelt condolences.

The queen had told them that they would return to Hillershka as soon as possible, as she did not want them to fall behind with their studies.

The girl had mixed feelings about her mother's decision to return to school. She wanted to see Frederic, but at the same time the thought of having to endure all the pitying looks and whispers was tedious.

The day before the funeral, Wilhelm did not show up in her room. His parents had him on the go with arrangements and a speech he was supposed to give on his arrival at Hillershka. This gave way to those sad and depressing thoughts that Isobelle hid every time her brother was with her. It plunged her into a state of sadness, leaving her with no strength and no desire to do anything but lie on her bed.

——————————— • —————————

The day of the funeral came quicker than Isobelle expected.

The sun was just beginning to rise when her mother entered her room accompanied by seamstresses and stylists.

It was usual for the young princess, every time they went out in public for a large-scale event like her brother's funeral, she had to be impeccable.

She tried on several dresses until she found one that made her feel comfortable. They decided to leave her hair simple, braiding it in the front and leaving the rest as normal.

Make-up was simple and natural, and in a matter of minutes Isobelle was ready to go.

The church where the funeral was to take place was full of people, some close to the prince, others were journalists and photographers, and outside the church, people gathered to show their support for the royal family.

Isobelle sat next to Wilhelm, holding his hand the whole time as she tried not to burst into tears.

"It's time." The queen whispered to her children, breaking Isobelle out of her thoughts.

Wilhelm gave her sister a look before offering her his arm for her to take. She intertwined them and smiled sadly before walking behind the men carrying the coffin.

She spotted August in the crowd. He looked pained. And it was then that Isobelle remembered how Erik had defended August against Wilhelm's complaints. She realised how much Erik meant to him. She smiled at him and nodded, sympathising with his suffering, making the mistake of believing in that false façade.

—————————— • ——————————

Wilhelm held out his arm to help her out of the carriage.

They were back in Hillershka, and both teachers and pupils were waiting for them.

Isobelle winced when she hit the ground completely, but it quickly changed to a smile when she caught sight of the tall, brown-haired boy she had missed so much, in the distance.

She didn't know where she got the strength to run towards him, which Frederic imitated, walking in Isobelle's direction with a wide smile on his face.

Once they were face to face, they took a few seconds to catch their breath. Frederic was the first to act, taking the girl by surprise when he grabbed her waist to kiss her.

She was quick to return the kiss, feeling safe immediately, because she truly felt safe in his arms.

When they parted, Frederic pressed their foreheads together, still hugging her.

"I'm sorry." He said simply in a whisper.

"It's okay, I'm fine." She lied.

But he knew it wasn't true.

"You are not. But you will be, and I'm not planning on going anywhere." He assured her as he kissed her forehead.

"Good. Because I wasn't planning on letting you go." She answered and he hugged her tighter. "Okay now you're hurting me." She said with a laugh.

"Fuck. Sorry." He apologized as he let go of her.

"Izzy, we should head inside." Wilhelm said from behind them.

"Right." She nodded, the happiness she felt now fading away as she returned to reality. "Let's go."

"Hey, I'm sorry for what happened." Frederic told Wilhelm as he walked over to him and hugged him.

Wilhelm stood in shock, but didn't hesitate to hug back.

"Just don't steal my man Wille!" Isobelle tried to lighten the mood as she walked in front of them, heading towards the school building.

The two boys just looked at each other before laughing.