15| 𝑻𝒐 𝑩𝒖𝒓𝒚 𝑨 𝑭𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒅

24 April, 2028

Kaitlyn's POV

"There's no such thing as happy endings, is there?" he whispers and I swear I felt my heart break for him that instant.

"Oh 'Lijah," I whisper as I walk up to him and pull him in a hug. He hugs me back instantly and cries in my arms.

After a few moments, I hear voices shuffling outside and I turn to see the Mikaelsons walk in. Nik looks up to meet my eyes and I can see the pain in his. I offer him a small smile, not knowing what else to say or do right now.

I haven't experienced the departure of someone so close to me and my friend group ever since Stefan and Chris and that was over sixteen years ago.

When Elijah notices the rest of his family, he pulls away from the hug and stares blankly at them. I exchange glances with everyone. Davina, Freya and Kol have tears in their eyes while Rebekah cries hysterically and Marcel consoles her. Nik walks up to us and wraps Elijah into a hug.

"We need to give her a proper funeral," Freya whispers and the others nod

"We will. She...she once told me if anything ever happened to her, she wanted a proper funeral in New Orleans, like Jackson's and that we should bury her ashes there too," Elijah speaks blankly.

"Then that's what we'll do," Nik says and that's when I realize someone's missing right now.

I gasp, "who's with Hope?"

It seems this is the first time they've realized Hope isn't here with us. I immediately rush past them and to Hope's room, with Nik following closely behind.

Her rooms door is shut and we can hear things breaking from the inside.

"Hope!" Nik screams out and for a second the noise pauses before resuming again.

"Hope, sweety, let us in, please," I plead her and all goes quiet. Too quiet.

I look at Nik and see panic in his eyes. I know what he is thinking and I nod. He immediately slams the door open, pulling if off of its hinges.

 He immediately slams the door open, pulling if off of its hinges