Chapter 3 - Warm Hands

"Catfish and the what?" the brunette next to me questioned, tucking her ear-length hair behind her ear

"Catfish and the what?" the brunette next to me questioned, tucking her ear-length hair behind her ear. I glanced at the device that sat in her ear canal, a wire coiled around and hooking above her helix.

"Catfish and The Bottlemen," I repeated with a shy smile, turning my gaze back at my smartphone.

My fingers dragged across the screen as I skipped past my playlist to find a song that she'd like, searching for a track that we could play while we hung out without one complaining to skip the song.

"They don't scream at you, do they?" She asked with scepticism.

I shook my head with a smile as my eyes scanned a song that made my heart skip a beat, I hoped she would like the song I picked out just for her, connecting to her stereo that sat in her small but comfortable bedroom.

Her family was out which gave us the opportunity to blast music. Not that they didn't allow her to play her music, I just wanted to be alone with her.

When the song began, she placed her crossed feet onto the floor from the bed, obviously feeling for the vibrations as the lyrics began almost immediately. A smile crept onto her lips.

I smiled in return as she bobbed her head to the beat while we listened without speaking to one another, there was a pause of silence even after the song had finished before she spoke up.

"I like it."

I couldn't help but let out a chuckle, my cheeks growing warm from the statement.

She leaned back onto the wall before looking at me with a soft smile, in a whisper saying, "more?"

I nodded excitedly as I skimmed for something else she might like, preferably by the same artist until I realised.

"No more," I said defeatedly.

"Why not?"

"Because I need to wake up."

I opened my eyes, blinking a few times as I stared blankly at the ceiling with an overwhelming sadness washing over me. I just wanted to roll over and close my eyes, shielding myself from the bright rays peeking through the beige curtains but I knew I've had enough rest.

The white ceiling felt pleasing to stare at for endless seconds but my body began to ache just laying down for an ungodly amount of time. With a huff, I sprung my body into a sitting position before placing my feet down onto the wooden floor, the cold sensation feeling foreign to me after long days walking on concrete, dirt and gravel through worn-out sneakers.

After a few good cracks in my neck and back, I glanced down at my clothes to find girlish prints on my shorts and shirt, shrugging it off immediately. It was an unusual colour scheme for me but I wasn't bothered, though my mind went to what my friends would think, seeing me in pink and fairy patterns.